bearing press

I met a guy at Auto Zone today who's selling a bearing press for $150. Apparently, it's pretty old and very hefty. Most of you guys have a good idea of my level of expertise - would this be a smart purchase, if only to have around for later when I learn what I'm doing? A side note, the ZJ definitely needs some bearing work on the front passenger side.

Reply to
The Merg

No. Take your ZJ hub assembly to someone who knows what they are doing.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I'll definitely take the ZJ somewhere - I wouldn't attempt anything like that on a car that any of my loved ones actually drive. I guess I'll just save my money for a plasma cutter or something - my brother has too many limbs.

Earle Hort> No. Take your ZJ hub assembly to someone who knows what they are doing. >

Reply to
The Merg

all the later models use a sealed hub assembly that is replaced as a unit, run around $125 or so for a new unit. Rebuilding can be done but the bearings are non standard, fairly expensive, takes a 30 ton press,

60 ton press desireable.

I would skip the press unless you do a lot of this k> I met a guy at Auto Zone today who's selling a bearing press for $150.

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
The Merg

Reply to
The Merg

Never, ever, EVER buy anything not sold at the parts store from 'the guy at the parts store'. Generally, if these guys knew that much about automotive repair, they wouldn't be working at an auto parts store. They would be working at a dealership making a killing getting paid flat-rate.

Nine times out of ten, these guys aren't that bright. One even tried to convince me that the 'tornado' actually works. Freaking moron.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

It does work for its intended purpose.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Intended purpose, yes. Advertised purpose, no.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

To remove money from your wallet?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
RoyJ

We're pretty sharp today.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Maybe you should look at the price of recycling the materials it's made of... YOu might be able to make a profit on it that way

Kidding, just kidding...

Kate

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Kate

It wasn't a guy who worked at the parts store, it was just some guy who was there. I would never buy anything from the guys that work there other than the parts I actually need. I think my buddy gets his welding done by this guy's son, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing with the bearing press. Regardless, he'll have to sell it to someone else.

Reply to
The Merg