IAC connector?

I cracked the connector for the idle air control motor on the wiring harness side - 2000 TJ 4.0 L. It still works okay but the retaining tab and half of the weather shielding is missing, so I'm sure it'll give me trouble later. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement connector? I'm assuming the Jeep dealer will want to sell me a whole wiring harness for $$$$... If nothing else I'm sure I can cobble something together but it would be nice to find the right connector.

Thanks, John

Reply to
jmaki

Call your local dealer and see if they sell a splice kit for that connector. Junk yards are usually unwilling to part with bits of a harness unless most of it was crisped in a fire. If the connector still looks like mine (and I suspect it does) then you could find one from any one the Jeep 4.0 engines.

Possibly these folks. (888) 528-2200

DougW

GM also used a lot of those connectors - try one of the local GM dealers if Chrysler doesn't work out. If you can get the shell, the pins from the old one will slip right in - but you'll probably have to destroy the old on to get them out. Without the (expensive) removal tool, they are a bear to pull out.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Flat style connector pins can usually be pulled by a home made tool from a hunk of piano wire. Whack the heck out of the wire on an anvil or similar hard surface [e.g. brother in laws head] and then file and polish it down to a nice flat area a couple inches long you can poke in to release the little latch on the side.

The round ones are harder, but you can make a removal tool from a hunk of hobby steel tubing.

Or just buy a couple of the commercial connector removal tools from an online electrical supply shop.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I've got a set of tools I made a long time ago.

You just need a nice strong beercan as donor metal. Cut a small patch out (about 1/4" by 1") and roll it around a bit of coathanger wire, then cut off the extra so you get a C shape. Sometimes you can use a scratch awl as the form.

Reply to
DougW