Help with wiring for a hard top 2000 TJ

Hello everyone. I am in the middle of trying to install the wiring for my

2000 TJ to hook up the hardtop, and I ran into a problem. I bought this from jeepsareus.com, but I haven't gotten a response from them yet. As I am working from the directions, I am looking near the 100-way connector under the instrument panel. There are three sets of directions, one for a 97, one for a 98, and one for a 99. I am assuming that I should use the 99 directions, as it seems to match up the best. However there are some differences. I am supposed to take the grey 10-way connector and "cut blue/white wire free of the 10-way connector and cut round type terminal off of the blue/white wire from the overlay harness. Splice these two blue/white wires together, then solder and insulate the splice. Cut-off the unused blue/white plade type terminaled wire and insulate the cut." The problem I am having is that on my grey 10-way connector, there is no blue/white wire. I have a light green wire, a grey/white wire, a red/white wire/ and a black/red wire. Am I supposed to splice into one of these? or am I supposed to insert the blade end into the connector, and if so, where? Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

Also, while I'm asking, has anyone here changed the 03 hardtop connecting harness to one that will work with 97-01(?) The top has five wires into the connector (solid black, black/white, black/green, red/blue, and brown/pink), but the new connector I need to install has seven (solid black, black/white, black/green, two brown/pink, pink/white, and yellow). I am assuming that the ones that match up just get spliced together (black, black/white, black/green) and that I can splice both brown/pink wires in the new harness into the existing wiring. What about the pink/white and yellow wires?

Thanks everyone for any and all help you can give me.

-- Bill D.

Reply to
wcdaniels

wcdaniels did pass the time by typing:

DC changed a lot in 2000 what are you trying to tap into?

Colors are moot. You need to determine what the wires run to and the purpose. Then match it to your Jeep. Don't just go by color code if the instructions are not for your model year.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Must post if your hooking up dome light, rear window defroster, or rear wiper before anyone can help answer your question. More amps required for rear defroster & wiper so power might come from relay cotrolled by key switched current. Dome light should be available even when key is off. If you want dome light on when door is opened that is switch in dome light ground lead.

If you don't understand automotive electrical systems take it to Auto Electric shop which should know how to fix your problem. Written estimate before they start.

Reply to
R. Duncan

brown/pink),

black/white,

I've been an electronics tech for over 25 years and I know your pain. My suggestion is to get a schematic (library is a good place if you don't have one) They look confusing at first glance, but if you look at it long enough it will start to make sense. It is vitally important that you get the schematic for your particular application because their are differences and if you hook the wrong things together you can create problems you wont like. If your unsure how to proceed, I would defenitely get some help from someone qualified. This is one area that trying things blindly will definitely ambush you.

Reply to
John Ford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Welcome, John, anyhow !

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
Dave Milne