improving heat in 93 YJ

i have a 93 YJ with a soft top. due to monetary considerations, it does not have a hard top for the winter, and due to off-road conditions, has no carpets either.

in the winter, since i'm probably just insane or just very well insulated, i have no problems with wearing a a coat whilst in the driver seat. however, some of my non-jeep friends (no, can't get trade em for 'jeep-friends') have the most common complaint about the lack of heat, especially in the rear seat.

i'm not even thinking about those awful ceramic heaters to cook my alternator. just wondering if there are any other alternatives or mods available other than tossing another blanket to the back seat.

probably a lost cause, heheheh.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

MudPuppy1976 i'm not even thinking about those awful ceramic heaters to cook my

You could look a replacing the stock blower moter with a beefier unit.

or similar

Reply to
DougW

Put an auxiliary space heater using engine coolant in place of the stock console, or inside it.

Keyword Search for"Auxiliary Space Heater" brings up several potentially useful products.These would be a tight fit in a YJ but I am confident you can do it. Pleasepost some pictures when you figure something out. ;o) Earle

"MudPuppy1976

Reply to
Earle Horton

What temperature thermostat are you running in the engine??? If it's too cool, your heater won't put out much heat at all. Make darned sure the correct thermostat is installed... or if you don't know, just install the right one per the thermostat guide book.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

"MudPuppy1976

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:17:39 GMT, "MudPuppy1976

Reply to
Woodsy

When I bought my 2000 S-10 my winter experiance with my old 88 told me it would be cold in the winter so I started before the first winter to make it warmer. I found this stuff in the hardware store that looks like bubble wrap sandwiched between aluminum foil. They had a small part folded up like a bag and you would stick your hand in and it reflects your body heat and in a few seconds your hand feels warm and sweaty. I pulled out the whole interrior of my s-10 and used aluminum tape and covered all the metal with this stuff. First winter I found that the hearer was much better than my old one and even on the coldest below zero days I still haven't even turned the heat up full yet.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

First off, make sure you have the 4 componets of good heat:

-Standard thermostat (usually 192 degrees) that is known to be good. They go bad, I've had bad ones out of the box.

-Drain, FLUSH, and refil the system with good anitfreeze. Use a cooling system flush product then power flush system ($4.95 or so) and run it until it runs clear.

-Upgade the heater fan motor (1991 and older) with the GM style blower motor

-Rebuild or replace the heater core on any vehicle where the flush process yields lots of red crud. I have been paying around $35 for a complete heater core rebuild including disassembly, rod out, reasembly, and testing.

Total cost is less than $100 for all items.

If that is not enough for the back seat folks, there are a series of auxilary heaters (jcwhitney.com) that are plumbed into the cooling system, use a 12 volt fan to push the air around. Used on RV's, school buses, 15 passenger vans, etc. Cost is about $200, they work GREAT, install is a pain.

cheers

MudPuppy1976 i have a 93 YJ with a soft top. due to monetary considerations, it does

Reply to
Roy