intermittent wipers

Well, actually, they don't like to work when it's cold or wet. And they don't return to park by themselves.

Motor connections or what?

Can the non-intermittent switch be replaced with an intermittent one, or do I need a module for that?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Make and model of your vehicle would be useful information. The return to park mechanism is in the motor though.

Earle

Scott > Well, actually, they don't like to work when it's cold or wet.

Reply to
Earle Horton

'97 Wrangler

That means a disassemble, clean and reassemble? I guess just clean and lube the whole assembly.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

They only work when it's dry?

How handy.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

You don't have to tell me about that!!!! They don't like to move in low. They work on fast.

I've only got under 72,000 on it.

Watch out for all the f---ing rust already!

I got one of the first TJ's. I guess they weren't quite ready for primetime yet. One rust hole on the left fender. Holes in the gas tank skid.

I rinsed the underside good after mud and snow.

I thought. (That must have been the problem :)

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

You could very easily be describing a failed ground.

The low needs a strong connection to work properly and the park needs a good body ground to work.

The park signal is a second power line that feeds the motor and grounds via a circular brass plate connected to chassis ground with a hole. When the wiper arms turn so the hole in the circular plate hits the contact, they are parked.

I would run a booster cable from the battery negative to the wiper motor to see if that fixes it. If so, I then would start cleaning connections and bolts that hold the motor on.

You could also have a corroded plug and socket.

Mine crapped out in the middle of a swamp 1000 miles from home with 3500 miles left in the trip to get back home. The windshield hinges decided they didn't want to pass power anymore.... I ran a dedicated jumper ground wire to the motor and it has never wiped so fast!

Now if I could just get the schematic or the part numbers from a CJ7 intermittent module's components, I could get that back too. It is just a few diodes and resistors in a plastic box that DC wants $500.00 freaking dollars for! Mine got killed by ice. The wipers froze and let the smoke out of the box before I could get them loose.

Mike

Mike Romain

I'll take my torx drivers and a clip lead out with me. I hope it's something simple like that. I'll google for an intermittent wiper diagram later. I'll let you know what I find. I've also got some electronic circuit sites bookmarked.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Waterproof electrical system my ass..........

I took the whole assembly out because the three bolts holding the motor down were loose. When I turned the assembly over, a bunch of semi-rusty water poured out of the motor. I removed the rubber cover and there was water in the contacts around the gear portion of the motor. What a cheap French made part. I'll have to plop down $117 for a new motor. I'll seal the new one's electrical connections with some coax-seal.

This makes a multifunction stalk, a turn signal switch and a headlamp switch to go with a wiper motor. Did I say rust before? I'm glad my invoice was only $15,618. The bushings on the front are going. I need another steering dampener. Which Rancho?

It will be 9 years old on 12-20. It's almost like it's going on 90!

Happy Jeeping

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Because the motor was still functioning, you very likely could get away with using a can of WD40 to clean the guts out and then add grease back where needed. The brass parking circuit circle uses dielectric grease. You can get waterproof grease in small cans at plumbing supply stores or just use bearing grease on the bushings.

We can use WD40 to clean an amazing amount of mud and crud out of starters and the starters go on working for years after this. Even seized up brushes come back to life.

WD40 is designed for this type of work, it is an excellent solvent and cleaner and Water Displacer for electricals.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain