Jeep Mechanic in Maryland?

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a good Jeep Mechanic in Maryland (preferably not too far from Columbia). My transfer case is toast, and dealership prices are no longer an option on my '91 Wrangler.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
zzippy

Hey Bruce, There is a shop called European motors in Catonsville that will work on non euro cars also. They are very good mechanics, but not cheap. Not dealer prices though. I would trust them for something I couldn't do myself on my jeep.

What happened to your tcase ? How do you know it is toast ? I ask because I am suspicious of my tcase on my 91 YJ 4.0. what happens when the tcase fails ? Does the drive chain slip or does it not work at all ?

-Joe

Reply to
Joseph

There is a place right off Rt. 1 in Jessup called Jack's Jeeps (I think that's the name).

If your heading south on Rt. 1 from 175 go about 2.5 miles and right after Guilford Rd. and right before the on ramp to Rt. 32 is a small industrial park. Turn right into the park and then left, the shop is on the right.

Not sure how there service is but they are always busy.

- - - - - Lee

Reply to
Lee Yeaton

Thanks for the reply. I had found numerous references to Jack's Jeeps in the news groups, but have been unable to find them. I can't find a phone listing for them, and an old phone number that I found on the internet (301-490-2083) has been disconnected. I think they may have gone out of business.

If I'm wrong, and you have current contact info for them, please let me know.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
zzippy

My transfer case makes a horrible whining sound when I drive. Henry Gay Jeep in Laurel tells me it needs replacing because it has been running dry.

I had the misfortune of taking it to Antwerpen Jeep in Catonsville a few months ago for a clutch problem. They misdiagnosed the problem (for $1000 in unnecessary repairs) and screwed up what they did do. I had to take it there 4 times for things to work properly. Once they even forgot to hook up the 4WD shifter, so when I went to put it in

4WD nothing happened. Anyway, it looks like I can add one more item to their long list of screw-ups -- they didn't bother to put any lubricant in the transfer case when they put it back on.

I regret the day I ever let them touch my Jeep. I had always had a good experience with Henry Gay Jeep, but they couldn't give me an appointment for a week and a half, and I couldn't wait that long.

Regards, Bruce

Reply to
zzippy