Learned my lesson - broke a stabilizer bar

Never climb concrete at an angle. always straight on. I went up a 5" slab to get somewhere and I wasn't going slow enough (20mph) and not head on. I approached it frm the driver's side at a 45 deg angle and my passenger side stabilizer snapped at the top where it connects to the torsion bar.

Reply to
Thoth1126

At 20 I'd also be checking the tires and rims for any damage. (inside and outside edges)

You snapped a swaybar link like the one here?

Sometimes the welds on those links leave a bit to be desired. But they shouldn't snap even under that load.

Reply to
DougW

What kind and how rock hard are you running for tires?

What flavor of Jeep?

Mike

Mike Romain

running 30" Bridgestone winter duelers @ 32 psi. 2002 TJ with no lift (yet)

Doug: Yes that's exactly the swaybar link I cracked.

Question: instead of buying a new link why not buy a 4" Rough Country lift that includes 2 new links. The kit sells for $529. What do you think?

Reply to
Thoth1126

Torsion bar in a Jeep? You're lucky if you only broke a sway bar link after hitting a 5" concrete slab at 20mph...

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Yep I know it. I'll never do stupid s#$% like that again. By torsion bar I meant Sway bar.

Reply to
Thoth1126

Ah. You're better off buying a 3.5" Rubicon lift kit. Not much more, WAY better quality.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

$879.95 and there are no shocks or front swaybar links! I don't know..

Reply to
Thoth1126

Depending on where it broke a competent welder can fix it.

I like this one. Dunno if they have one for your application or not, but the idea is killer.

down to the "RockLock"

Reply to
DougW

AWESOME! Really nice. I havent had to chance to do serious off-roading

- only along Hydro-Power line trails. Got stuck this summer. When I get serious I'll invest a bunch. Thanks for the advice, as always

Reply to
Thoth1126

Check out

free shocks with lift kits. Quality and your kidneys deserve it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Great site. Better price for the 3.5" RE "extended end links (front and rear)" are those the sway bar links?

Reply to
Thoth1126

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I have ordered from them before and was satisfied. "Extended links" are new sway bar end links that are longer to compensate for the lift, but they are not disconnects.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Keep in mind unless you have permission from the uitility companies you most likely are trespassing.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo