Strut stabilizer bar

Does anyone have one of these bad boys in a camry? I'm about to put one that I got for cheap on a 1990 camry. Any reasons why I shouldn't? Thanks

Reply to
DSPL

What is it suposed to do

Reply to
m Ransley

I believe they connect the 2 front strut towers and make it more rigid. Some special models of the Camry may come with them standard equipment but most don't.

Reply to
Art

Far as I know, your Camry already has "stabilizer bars" front and rear as stock equipment. Some people tune the suspension by adding stiffer "anti-sway" bars. The stabilizer bars join the lower control arms (in front, and the strut mounting points in back) with a steel torsion bar running through bushings. Some racers have actually found a greater effect by changing the rear stabilizer bars - but that could also be influenced by weight distribution front to rear. When turning through a corner and the car attempts to lean to one side, the stabilizer bar counter acts this force. If you go over a bump equally on both wheels, the stabilizer bar has no effect because both sides move together, but if one wheel goes over a bump and the other doesn't, the thicker stabilizer bar gives a bumpier ride, so stabilizer bar thickness and bushing material softness/ hardness are design compromises engineered to balance ride and handling. I like to keep things stock. I would put in factory fresh stabilizer bushings and leave it at that, but you could experiment if you like going around corners fast better than a smoother ride on a bumpy street.

Reply to
Daniel

Hey, Dan, he's talking about the aftermarkt thing all the kids are putting in their Civics, the ones that tie the two shock towers together.

It will add a modicum of stabilization to the handling of the car. May even be noticable. Generally, ther are used for higher horsepower cars with Dubs, because you're stretcing the limits of the chassis to its...well, limits! Yaeh, you will notice a difference in hard cornering. Not so much straight line driving.

Reply to
hachiroku

These tie the top of the strut towers together ---not the same as a sway bar. The Camry SE comes stock with them --- many sports cars like BMW and Nissan 350Z have them too. The stiffen up the frame/body.

Reply to
Wolfgang