Locking Gas Cap - no key

So I had spare keys made for my Jeep but never thought to get one made for the gas cap. Long and depressing story cut short, my keys are sitting at the bottom of an elevator shaft and can't be reached until around Aug 5-6. My Jeep is sitting at a 1/4 tank - in other words, I have about 20km of driving left ;p

Anywho, any way of filling the tank up? I see screws around the cap and around the door - can the whole piece just be removed in any way? Can I fill it by detaching a fuel line hose?

Argh!

p.s. 99 TJ Sport 6cyl

Reply to
griffin

I think you'll find that most full service gas attendants have no problem popping your "locked" gas cap off without the key!

Reply to
Steve_b

What's a 'full service gas attendant'?

Reply to
PeterD

Back in the day.... locking gas caps were kind of universal. If the key fit into the lock, it could be convinced to open it relatively easily.

I'd almost bet that if you put the new key in there and wiggled it a little (kind of in and out) that it will open.

Anywho, any way of filling the tank up? I see screws around the cap and around the door - can the whole piece just be removed in any way? Can I fill it by detaching a fuel line hose?

Argh!

p.s. 99 TJ Sport 6cyl

Reply to
Kate

All the key is really doing is locking the inner portion in the filler neck to the outer freely rotating cap. If you take a self tapping screw an inch or so long and drive it in next to the key bezel you will pin the two together and be able to remove the cap. The cap is of course junk after that.

Reply to
jeff

That's why I suggested wiggling the key, so the cap didn't have to be replaced.

"jeff" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@r2d2.vermontel.net... All the key is really doing is locking the inner portion in the filler neck to the outer freely rotating cap. If you take a self tapping screw an inch or so long and drive it in next to the key bezel you will pin the two together and be able to remove the cap. The cap is of course junk after that.

Reply to
Kate

Paperclip.

Open it up and fold it into a U shape then slowly insert and turn. You might have to move it from side to side a bit, but for most simple locks that works.

Reply to
DougW

I've had better luck with a hunk of piano wire, or an old IBM typewriter hook.

Reply to
Lon