gas cap loose but no check engine light????

Hi All,

I'm still chasing gas smells and other odditites with my 94 Explorer XLT 4X4 V6 . My latest experiment was to see if by loosening the gas cap the system was smart enough to trip the "check engine light"--it didn't and I know the CE light is not burned out. Any ideas about this.? The reason I am messing with the gas cap is because I am still diagnoising the source of gas fumes and too, it seems the tank if not venting properly-when I unscrew the gas cap (the times it is put on and tightened propery) there seems to be a LOT of venting hiss. Makes me think evap solonoid (or something) is not doing its job??? thoughts?

Thanks! dan

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.

btw What I *DID* notice was that when the gas cap was loose the ignition would respond like I had a dead battery for the first 3-4 attempts to start the truck. Then it would start. Seems a loose gas cap shuts down the electrical system--even my truck radio clock reset it self to "12:00".---I never did get a "check engine light", though.

df

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.

Sounds like it has to work harder to start with no cap and draws down the battery enough to reset things. New battery or cable maintenance needed is my guess.

Reply to
Al Williams

Thanks-not sure now that the cap and shutdown are related-...still testing. ...its not that the engine cranks and draws the battery down, it more like there is a relay or something stopping most of the conection with the battery -i.e. there are no headlights or accesories the first minute the key switch it turned, but give it a minute--wait for it--- and then you hear the fuel pump and see the dash lights and gauges come alive. At this point the starter is alive and the truck is "crankable"...

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.

Jeez.... let's get real guys..... equating the gas cap to starter draw is like saying my neighboiurs garage door opener doesn't work when my fridge door is open....

Without a fuel tank pressure sensor, the PCM has no idea if you even have a gas cap....

Instead of chasing things with no understanding of the system, why not spend a few bucks and have a capable shop smoke test the EVAP system?

FWIW, all too often I see DIYers throw hundreds of dollars at a $50 problem... worse yet, along the way they jerry rig God knows how many suppoesed "fixes" that can cost serious money to undo...

Reply to
Jim Warman