M100 Military Trailer

I'm going to look at a M100 to pull behind my CJ7. The guys says the tires and shocks will need to be replaced. Other than that it's in ok shape. No major rust but there's a split at the front left and right corners. Also, the front panel at the top rail is split.

He said it's been sitting for 5 years in storage.

Question is what things should I look out for when I look at this trailer? Rust I know but what about axle rotation? Do these things freeze up? What do they turn on, bearings?

He want's 250.00 for the trailer.

Thanks for any input,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

L.W.(ßill)

Just found out the freakin guy sold it out from under me. :-(

I like the body style of the M416 better anyway (angled fenders over rounded ones) so I'll keep looking.

Anyway, What's the consensus regarding pulling a trailer behind a jeep. I have the image in my mind and thinking of using it for pulling camping gear and supplies. Do CJ7s (I6, 258) pull trailers such as the M100 or M416 well?

thanks,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I think the M100s are worth more, or at least more sought after.

That is what they were designed for.

Reply to
twaldron

I have a 1946 Bantam BT3C trailer (post-war civilian version of the WWII 1/4 ton jeep trailer, which was the precurser to the Korean War era M100). Been towing it behind various jeeps since 1966.

CJ-7s pull these trailers just fine.

MT, BT3, BT3C and M100 trailers are becoming quite rare. I have been offered more than $2,000 for my BT3C, but it is rust free, in great condition with one of the lowest known serial numbers of the remaining BT3-Cs. Not bad for a trailer that sold for less than $200 new.

The Vietnam era M-416 trailers are easier to find. They also have a wider track which more closely matches the track of the CJ-7. However, they need to be modified to accept the CJ 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern so you can run the same wheels all around. (The M416 was designed to be towed by the old Mutt and Mighty Mite military vehicles, which have an entirely different wheel pattern than Jeeps.)

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

There's also the M-101 which is the Canidian version of the M-416. These are quite new:

and in great shape.

So why do you want to have the same size wheels as on your Jeep? Does that mean if I'm running 33" tires on my CJ I'd also want the same on the trailer?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

You want all the tires to be interchangable. 33's will fit an M416 with minor suspension mods.

If the wheels and tires don't match the jeep you will need two different sized spares. Mounting a spare on a small trailer can be a challenge. (i.e., its just as easy to make all the wheels/tires match and carry one spare on your jeep)

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Not true. The M416 has a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. The only time the bolt pattern becomes an issue is when people (like me) want to tow one behind a TJ (5 on 4 1/2). I towed it behind my Suburban too, so I simply modified the trailer for an under-bed spare.

The trailer tows great behind a Jeep. Check out my page below on the trailer I restored. I towed it from Las Vegas, NV to Moab, UT at highway speeds with no trouble.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Elton

I have the rounded fenders on the trailer that I have, and I truly love pulling it. It follows me PERFECTLY. I drug it over the Rubicon behind my CJ5, and I have pulled it through the Bad Lands out by the Salton Sea. It is very cool because it almost never hits things that my Jeep avoids. Having said that, I did manage to rip the tail lamps off of it, but that was more a fucntion of the departure angle than dragging it past a tree. I went down Heart Attack Hill out in Anza Borrego once while pulling my trailer. It was Way Cool because I locked the trailer brake and the trailer then became an anchor that held me steady on my course down the hill. The trailer actually made the trip down easier than without the trailer!

I went to my local Ace Hardware and bought some high-quality bungee cords and a 4x6 canvas tarp. I fill the trailer with a way-too-big tent and all of the camping gear I can think of, and then fill a 60qt ice chest with beer and ice, and hit the trails. I can even carry a 6ft folding banquet table to set up at the campsite when we get there. I set the ice chest next to the tailgate so I can get to its contents without having to completely undo the bungees - all I need to do is unhook one cord and fold the flap over and the ice chest is ready to despense its contents. I installed the Mopar MPFI, the same one that you just installed, and a Borla Header, and I don't even know the trailer is following me when I am on the highway.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Ahh, that's your page? I've referenced that page a couple of times before. Great page.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Thanks. Someday I'll restore the CJ-3A and do a full-blown before and after write up page. I have three boys (the oldest is 6). Once they get older, it will be a great project for all of us.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Elton

It'll be a great project for you guys. I had my daughter (12) help me pull the entire dashboard out of the minivan over the New Year's weekend. My wife was complaining that the heater blew cold, and while blowing water through the heater core in an attempt to clean it out, one of the inlet/outlet tubes broke off. I had to pull the dashboard to get to the heater core, and my daughter was very helpful with doing much of the work. She enjoyed it, and I did as well. I am sure you and your boys will look forward to spending days and evenings working on your project.

Reply to
CRWLR

I am sure of it too. They already enjoy being in the garage with me, but at this point are just a tad young to actually be 'helpful'. Most of the time it takes me twice as long to do anything if they are 'helping'. So I figure I'll let the CJ sit until I know they are old enough to appreciate what we'll be doing. I found the gas cap off the other day (of the CJ) and found that they had filled the gas tank with rocks and Hot Wheels! Good thing it's not my daily driver! We had a long talk after that one.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Elton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yikes! You are absolutely correct. That's what happens when I respond to a post early in the AM before coffee. I was thinking of a friend who changed the hubs on his M416 to match his CJ. Only problem is, he drives a CJ now but at the time of his M416 resto he was towing with a Toyota. It was the Toyota he was trying to match.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

No steering wheel removal. But the inside of Mrs. CRWLR's minivan looked like something NASCAR would be proud of. There is lots of leg room when the dashboard is laying on the garage floor.

Reply to
CRWLR

Great page! now I want a military trailer all of a sudden...

Anyone else catch themselves wondering what a modern jeep would look like with NDCC tires?

Reply to
Simon Juncal