Helper springs?

Has anyone used a helper spring kit on a Hawk rear spring to reduce the sagging? JC Whitney still sells them. I seem to recall a thread eons ago about them.. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

George,

I got a pair of coil-over shocks from Dave Thibeault for my Power Hawk over ten years ago and they are still doing the job.

I'm sure that they're still available. Also, there's the airshock solution but they only seem to last a few years.

HTH

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Here is an idea I used to use on my Studebaker: When you are not going to be driving it for a week or so jack it up so the wheels are all off the ground. The leaf springs will actually recover some of their arch and keep it for a while.

Reply to
rwhughe

Maybe I need some of those shocks for my Lark - poor thing sinks right down when I put more than me and my very small daughter in it.

Reply to
Dan Kay

here's a wildcard.......

a few years ago I got a "low mileage" (140,000) '57 sedan.....good overall shape....front end seemed tight,etc........but the front agged, ride height was wrong all around...even leaned to one side. a quick look and found it even had those rubber wedge things screwed into the front coils. so I thought it would take new springs all the way around.

finally got around to working on it and found the previous owner had taken it to K-Mart for new shocks........of course, they weren't the right ones. took all the shocks off.....took the wedgies out.....bounced on it a few times and it leveled right out. put the correct shocks on and it's straight and at the right height on its 52 year old springs.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Thanks all, the owner of the car is weighing the options; new springs are $$ or I can take his apart and add a leaf..or maybe the coil overs. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Pat Skelly has a set on his GT Hawk. It rides nice, even with two fat guys (and their skinny wives) in it

Jeff

Reply to
Deepnhock

Thanks Jeffy, I will call or email Pat and see where he got them from. Sounds like a nice alternative. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I think it would be much less difficult to disassemble and add a leaf, than to remove those old shackle bushings. I've done both and adding a 40" leaf will perk up old springs very nicely.

Reply to
bobj