Focus with trailer

Hello all,

Seeking advice here. I'm considering taking my automatic 2001 Focus sedan SE for a cross country adventure, including rocky mtns, dirt roads, etc.. I want to tow my motorcycle (about 390lbs wet) on a trailer with a combined weight of no more than probably 650lbs. (don't have trailer yet).

I know the manual describes 1000 lbs. towing and all, and there's the

75% rule, but I don't have any practical experience with towing. Can anyone tell me if I'm asking for trouble by doing this? It would be just me and lot's of camping stuff in the car with me. I'm thinking it would work fine, but I don't want to kill my car, or anyone else's for that matter. I want the trip to be fun.

Thanks a lot for any info. or advice.

-NS

Reply to
N. Sanders

650 lbs should be fine. Go for it. You'll be fine.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

a suggestion.... have a small-med size trans cooler installed and you might even want to have the trans flushed and synthetic fluid installed.

it will set you back a couple hundred... but I can almost guarantee you wont get any bad news on the way. Or for as long as you own the car, for that matter. Far and away, most trannies fail due to overheat.

Look at it like this, you can tell if your engine is overheating, you dont know about the trans until some damage is done.

For the engine, keep the coolant mixture about 50-50 not too much A-Freeze, a change wouldnt hurt and add a bottle of Red-Line Water Wetter. make sure the rad is clear of obstruction and fan works well.

Mobil 1 synth oil in the crankcase, wont need to change oil again till you get back. then you can go back to dino oil if you want.

If your brakes have over 40,000 on them... get new pads/shoes and go for the top of the line, Ceramix if your car takes them.

If you have any doubts about your shocks, replace them too... bad shocks on a rutted bumpy dirt road with a trailer pushing you is bad news for control.

and fresh wiper blades... raining, smeared windshield on a mountain road... wooooh!

oh.. and a complete spare wheel and hub/bearings for the trailer.

\ Jeff opined in news:cgbop2$ snipped-for-privacy@library2.airnews.net:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic