Manual locking hub question

Hello,

I have a hub that won't turn all the way to locking position without force. It will still lock, but have to really give it some twist to get it over. This past winter one morning when it was -38F, this particular hub was frozen stuck and I made the mistake of forcing it over to lock. That is when the trouble began.

After taking it apart this morning, the hub assembly appears to be fine. Looks like only the cap threads are stripped. I went ahead and replaced the whole thing, but could have probably gotten away with only a new cap assembly.

Any of you cold-weather guys/gals have a similar frozen hub problem before? Thanks.

Terry

92YJ
Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

Lock the hubs in November and leave them locked until April.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yup, got her lubed up.

I like Matt's idea to leave them locked prior to winter.

Thanks.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

You can take the hubs off and clean them, you know.

Mine are SuperWinch hubs, and they have 6 allen screws holding them on. I take the screws out, and the hubs come right off so I can clean them up. Since your YJ came with vacuum operated hub locks, and you have converted them to manual hub locks, then you should be able to take them off and clean them up on the inside.

Reply to
CRWLR

Or, like me, lock them in 1998, and leave them locked.

Reply to
CRWLR

Yes, I take them off on occasion and check them out. The Warns I have use the same six 9/16" allen screws, with a couple lock rings inside. Pretty simple to remove.

Thanks for your insight.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

I used to take mine off ever couple of month and soak them down in ATF. Drain and bolt back on. No grease. Never had them freeze/seize in all the years I owned my two CJs. Factory 6 and 5 bolt as well as a set of Warn Premium...

Reply to
Warren Quin

It's frozen grease.

My book even says to use white lithium 'sparingly' on the hub guts. The white stuff doesn't freeze as easy.

Mike

Terry Jeffrey wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain