MTBE vs. Ethanol

I just heard an interesting thing on Goss' Garage Radio Show this past weekend. He stated that MTBE is an additive that helps to oxygenate fuel, but it is a pollutant and as such has been banned in twenty-two states. In those states (he didn't name them) the alternative to MTBE is used -- Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol). He states that MTBE and Ethanol are not compatible with one another and suggests that if your traveling from an MTBE state to an Ethanol state, you should make sure that your tank is very near empty before you fill up. The reverse is also true. He went on to state that when MTBE and Ethanol are mixed in sufficient quantity (a half tank full will do it) the chemicals react and generate a gummy precipitate that will clog fuel filters and injectors sufficiently so to cause hard starts, rough idling, and even stalls. Ed Goss has a good reputation in the Maryland/DC area and his opinion seems very credible.

Has anyone here heard something similar? Curious to know.

Scott

Reply to
reconair

.... and which states are which?

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
reconair

Well, since we are all top-posting now, I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Dallas (no MTBE) to Sacramento (MTBE) each year, for Memorial Day weekend, to visit the Traditional Jazz Jubilee, from 1999 to 2002, when we retired and moved both Jeeps to California. So we have been through all of the transitions, 1999-2005 - even seen the California MTBE gas stations dug up, from 2002 to the present.

No problem. Along the way to Sacramento I always took side trips. I visited the Rocky Mountains National Park (highest paved highway, at 13,000 ft.) and the Saltan Sea (somethng below sea level.) I think the computer takes care of this. My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee now has 114,000 miles and no problems.

MTBE may be a problem to humans, and ethanol reduces the amount of energy in a typical gallon, but my Jeep has not indicated any noticible difference. Even mpg (reported by the computer 17.2 mpg) seems the same, from year to year.

I have a very, very excellent Jeep mechanic in Placerville, CA, Jim's Automotive, and if you are prepping for the Rubicon, he probably knows the answers. I don't do that stuff myself, but he seems to know.

Reply to
Billzz

Maybe Jeeps are immune. Nonetheless, perhaps its the high end vehicles with their sensitive fuel systems like BMW, Audi, Volvo, etc, etc. I too have made some long distance treks and I'm sure I've mixed the two ingredients to no ill effect. On the other hand, just might explain some of those undiagnosed hard start/rough idle problems that pop up every now and then.

Reply to
reconair

Like the other contrary poster, while MTBE was still legal in Kalifornia and Nevada, I crossed many times between mtbe gas and alcogas with no ill effects other than that too much ethanol gives a slightly rougher idle with *some* brands. MTBE is now outlawed in most of the area a round cheer.

reconair proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Been banned from outboard motors on the reservoirs around here for quite some time. Now banned from around Tahoe. Seems that it takes an amazingly tiny amount to make water taste really really bitter. It has been banned in Kalifornia since Jan 1 2004. Delayed by the ejected Guv, but eventually imposed. Originally proposed to replace tetraethyl lead and similar that had the bad habit of making old pump jockies mentally challenged.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Billzz - this is generally a top posting NG by nature....

Reply to
Tomes

Hmmm looks like NY has the ban but NJ does not. As I live in NJ, I get gas in both states a lot. I have not seen any effect in either the Jeep or the Sienna. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Well, I refuse! Oops. Did it again.

Reply to
Billzz

MTBE is a huge polluter, that's H-U-G-E.

I haven't heard that MTBE and ethanol don't play well together. I don't worry about such things though because I ONLY fill the tank with it's Empty. I've got way too many things to do than stand around a gas station filling my tank before it hits E.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's Salton Sea, and it's something like 268 feet below seal level.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland