Re: 2008 minivans: Honda Odyssey vs Toyota Sienna

The Sienna gets 25-28 MPG.

This is hard for me to believe.

Reply to
badgolferman

Hard for the EPA to believe, too... ;-)

18/23 City/Hwy
Reply to
Joe

It may get that on a long trip, but for day-to-day driving...

=46rom Consumer guide Automotive

Forget the EPA. Consumer Guide's auto editors drove 150,000 miles last year. We drove to work, to day care, to the grocery store, and on vacation. We drove through record heat, blinding snow, driving rain, and confounding road construction, keeping track of every drop of fuel we used along the way.

The EPA admits its fuel economy numbers are estimates. Our numbers are real. A typical Consumer Guide test car is evaluated by at least four editors, all of whom account for their individual fuel usage. Here are the vehicles in each class that used the least amount of fuel while in our care.

Honda Odyssey-16.4 MPG

Toyota Sienna-16.4 MPG

Consumer Reports faired a little better with 19 MPG.

As one poster noted about the Odyssey

"my normal gas mileage is 17 mpg in the city and 24.5-25 mpg on the highway. I've gotten as low as 15 mpg in the winter here (10% ethanol fuel) and as high as 27.1 mpg on the highway (traveling by myself with just two suitcases). I keep my tires at 37 psi, which is what made my gas mileage increase by 1-2 mpg."

Another noted about his Sienna " I drive 80MPH and still get 24 MPG" which I will dismiss as total BS.

Reply to
Siskuwihane

I own one. Trip mileage of course, no kidding I really do get that kind of gas mileage. City driving is less depending on how much of a lead foot I am, but I usually try to drive like I have an egg under the gas pedal. BTW, a friend has a 08 Ody which gets even better gas milage. On a trip, it runs on 3 cylinders. I don't know how they do it. The gas mileage is average in city however. It is hard to believe for a

4000 lb plus vehicle to get that kind of economy, but it is so.
Reply to
dbu

I tell truth. I don't care what EPA says. I've had vehicles where the EPA says I should get 16/19 and I got much worse.

Reply to
dbu

Again, those numbers are way off from what I get and what my friends Ody gets.

Reply to
dbu

I can see it doing that well on a trip if you're using super unleaded gasoline.

Reply to
badgolferman

Over the course of a recent road trip from Houston to Colorado and New Mexico and back (almost 3,000 miles total), our 2001 Odyssey averaged nearly

24.7 mpg on mostly regular gas. Much of the highway driving was on interstates, going about 70 with the AC on; there was also some driving at slightly slower speeds on smaller highways. A fair amount of the total was going up and down mountains, and there was some city driving as well.

Not at all bad for a vehicle of this size and comfort level, under these conditions. Probably twice the mileage my dad used to get in our station wagons on similar trips back in the '70s.

Around town (mix of street and freeway driving), I typically get between 15 and 19 mpg. In a total of about 75,000 miles, I've averaged about 19.4 overall.

Reply to
Paul

Horsefeathers. The grade of gasoline has NOTHING to do with how much mileage you get.

Reply to
Dan C

On interstate driving it seems to for me.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes that is trip mileage, with a steady foot and at speed limit. No 80 mph for me. The Sienna AWD gets quite a bit less mileage, but you have a heavier vehicle plus 4 wheels driving. I have the 2WD model, it's been a great vehicle, perhaps the best I've owned yet. One more note, I don't use the built in MPG gauge, I just use the old arithmetic version, and at least three checks then average. I'm also very careful at the pump when topping off the tank.

Reply to
dbu

I get slightly poorer mileage with ethanol based fuel.

Reply to
dbu

It may get that on a long trip, but for day-to-day driving...

From Consumer guide Automotive

[...]

Mike hunt

That's not what I'm getting. I own and drive a Sienna and I calculate over a number of trips my gas mileage. If anyone chooses to not believe me, fine, I don't care. I know what I get in gas mileage and that is all that matters to me. My friend who has a 08 Ody gets even better gas mileage and he is conservative and flat honest, if he didn't get what he gets he would say so.

Reply to
dbu

Howdy,

Let me add something to the mix...

I have an '04 Sienna AWD. I live in rural New Hampshire and so do very little stop-and-go driving.

In the four years I have had the van, I have never gotten better than 18 mpg, and I have a light foot.

The simple reality is that as is true for any manufactured product there are variations part to part, and they may have a cumulative effect.

I don't doubt for a moment that there are folks who get far better mileage in what is ostensibly the identical car.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

18 Is damn good for AWD.
Reply to
dbu

That will always be true, as Ethanol doesn't have as much energy as Petrol, but there will be no difference between Super and Regular unleaded. Use what the car needs. My Civic Si requires Premium. If your car doesn't, don't bother using it. It does nothing for you.

Reply to
Joe

Where I gas up at there is a penny difference between their reg. and their premium. I always gas up my Sienna with the premium. I can tell the difference in performance as I've tried both. Not a blow you away difference, but a difference. I expect gas mileage is somewhat better with premium also, but I've never tested it. When I gas up in the next state over that does not have state mandated ethanol based fuel I see even better performance. I'm still trying to understand where we as drivers of gas vehicles have any advantage using ethanol fuel.

Reply to
dbu

I don't believe that. Not at a normal gas station, anyway.

I don't believe that, either. You are under the illusion that many people are, that premium is more "powerful". It isn't.

There is no difference.

As has been previously stated, that is because ethanol does not have the same energy (BTU) per gallon that gasoline does. It has less.

We don't. It's a purely political sham, and is not a good thing at all. What it's basically doing is driving up the prices of food that uses corn, which is a lot more foods than most people realize.

Reply to
Dan C

"Kenneth" ...

AWD in itself saps MPG. That invalidates a comparison to non-AWD Siennas.

BTW, I get about 22 in my 98 Sienna in semi rural west central NJ driving. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes