MUDD-Flap

now that ive spring-lifted my jeep 2.5 inches and a 1inch body lift is on the way, i saw on the local news the cops are generating some extra income by giving out tickets for mud-flaps that dont hang down parell to the axel, any ideas out there for removable flaps? , thanks johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

I got pulled over awhile back and got a fix-it ticket for no mud flaps and wheels that extend past the wheel wells. The ticket its self didn't cost any thing other than time. (I had to get a cop to sign off on my fixes and take that signature to the court, about 2 hours total.) Your state maybe different.

I built a set of mud flaps using these as a model:

They work great. It takes but a second to take them on or off.

They want $100 for these which seems a little spendy given that we're talking about a $20 mud flap, $2 worth of steel, and $5 worth of misc bits and pieces. If you can weld these are about the simplest project I can think of.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Make your own, using ideas gained from looking at some of the commercially availailable quick release flaps. You can buy bulk mudflap material by the foot at your local rubber supplier. It's dirt cheap - I bought a 4 x 1 ft piece of 1/8 inch flap made from recycled tires for less than $6.

John

Reply to
John Davies

Oh, man, I never thought about that being a crime! I only have 10.50" wide tires and they throw rooster tails up behind my sides when it's sloppy out because they stick out a lot. Anyone know the law in VA? :) Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

Here in Az. Jeeps are for some absurd reason registered as 'station wagons'.... By law, station wagons are not required to have mud flaps. There's been a few club members here that have been ticketed for lack of mud flaps, but once they point out the technicality, the charge is dropped. Check what your registration says and then the law. Nick

Reply to
Nick

OH my gawd, it cant be,, my poor jeeps a STATIONWAGON,,,,,,,,,sob,,sniff, thats an insult, the dawg hear of this and hell pee on my tires, i havnt seen a decent stationwagon since the late sixtys, loaded with beer and girls,

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

station wagon = no mud flaps req'd. real station wagon, last of =1989 Caprice (1986 if you want to forget the

307) best real wagon = 1971 pontiac safari 455 (best compression ration ever, best hp ever, prior to smog reg's.)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Stationwagon?!?! HAHAHA! So when someone asks you what "type" of vehicle you drive, you had better answer honestly. "Ya, I'm going offroading today in my stationwagon ...anyone wanna come?!"

Up here in the salt belt, I took the rear seat out and it's listed as a light pick-up. I can also register it as an ORV (off-road vehicle) as long as it's for rec-use only. Or, with the rear seat it's listed as an SUV. Confuzzling, really.

Reply to
griffin