Nitrogen

I cannot comment on the running cooler claim but the one that wasn't mentioned is that Nitrogen is 'dry' and won't promote rusting of the wheel and freezing in the valve. 'They" say the water initially in the wheel will migrate out over time as it is vaporized by road heat.

But then, what do I know....

Reply to
Billy Ray

Phooey.

Water in a tire will stay exactly where it is.

DRY air offers most of the benefits of N2 at much lower cost. Run your compressor, let the tank cool thoroughly, and drain the tank from the bottom.

Steel wheels should be painted inside with a zinc chromate primer, and a good catalyzed urethane paint if possible. Otherwise, use Rustoleum. I have painted insides of engine blocks with Glyptal, which works great, but I don't know if it's the thing for wheels since they don't get hot enough to cure it.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

When I need to raise the pressure I just stop by the tire dealer on the way home and have them bump the pressure to 40 psi (hot) and then I bleed the tires to where I want them before I go to bed (cold) I have noticed a consistent 4 psi difference in hot/cold pressure.

They do not charge for Nitrogen addition.

Reply to
Billy Ray

The purpose of nitrogen is (primarily) for leaking, it is a larger molecule. When the OEM's test for leakers they use helium as this is a very small molecule and can pass through more easily (alloys). There are some other claimed advantages such as less tire oxidation etc. but this is what the OEM's tell me. Hope this helps/...

Tom

Reply to
TF

you know some times I picture Bill running out and snaping a picture of whatever he's writing about every time he posts.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, a picture of a camera - your classic. I can't even begin to explain why that's so freakin' funny...

bjc

Reply to
brianc

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That wouldn't be you purchasing from the Japanese would it Bill ? I had you down as a 'merkin Eastman Kodak purchaser.

:-)

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Wouldn't CO2 be even larger?

RJ

Reply to
RJ

RJ proclaimed:

Depends on whether N typically forms multi-atomic molecules. One could always use CS4 and protect oneself against high powered police radar at the same time... Or Tritium Monoxide...

Reply to
Lon

One of my friend's dad owns a big tire store in Lodi. Apparently nitrogen is becoming trendy, all the mexican racecar guys have to have it, and the benz owners are starting to ask for it too. He charges about $7 to refill your tires, a pretty good markup on a bottle of nitrogen.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

The tire dealers here use machines to separate Nitrogen from the atmosphere.

With at least one company in the Greater Cincinnati area 'Tire Discounters" there is no charge.

Reply to
Billy Ray

What's the purpose of using it?

Reply to