Lexus RX300 - cannot get into reverse

I'm leaving in a few minutes to help my son. His Lexus is parked in garage and he can move it into all forward gears but not into reverse. When in neutral and brake is off he also cannot push the SUV backward.

Any help appreciated. If possible, also send response to rswanATswanassocDOTcom as I will not be on my own machine.

Thanks and best,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Swan

Are you saying that the shifter will not move into the reverse position or that when the shifter is in reverse, the the vehicle will not move backwards? If the shifter will not move into the reverse position, check for foreign objects in the shift console and where the shift linkage enters the transmission.

If the shifter will move into the reverse position but the vehicle will not move backwards, check to make sure that the parking brake is disengaged. You can check by jacking up the back of the vehicle and seeing if you can turn the rear wheels.

If the shifter will move into the reverse position and the parking brake is disengaged, then there may be a problem with the transmission, center differential (if it has AWD), or axles.

How many miles are on the vehicle? What is the condition of the transmission fluid? This is probably very obvious, but is there anything behind any of the wheels like a wheel chock? Is the OD light flashing or illuminated on the instrument panel?

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Thanks for quick reply.

I'm at his home now. Shift does go into all gears. Brake is disengaged.. We can move forward in drive gear. We cannot move backward in reverse gear. We cannot push either direction in neutral.

You're probably right - transmission may be the culprit.

AAA arriving soon.

Best,

Rick

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
rswan46

If the vehicle will not move in neutral with the parking brake disengaged, the transmission is a likely culprit.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

The AAA guy gave the Lexus much more gas than we ever do (at least in the garage) and the car backed right out.

Then it operated correctly forward and back.

Go figure. Like when I get better just as I enter the doctor's office and cannot demonstrate my symptoms.

Again, thanks for your help,

Rick

Reply to
rswan46

Well, at least you don't have a transmission repair to make!

If the vehicle has been parked for a while in humid conditions, it is possible that the brake rotors got a little rusty.

Reply to
Ray O