Oil in Gas tank -- erratic idle

Man it's not a good new year for me, I accidentally picked the wrong funnel (dumbass) to pour gas into my tank and used an oiled one. My 90

4.0L 6 cyl. XJ now has an alarmingly erratic idle spiking from @100 rpm to 3-400 rpm every complete turn... aaargh, any suggestions, new plugs? HELP!
Reply to
Stevil

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Also, run a bottle og BG44K it is the best stuff on the market do a search for a supplier in your area. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I suspect it it more WHAT you put in the tank and not the funnel used to put it in with. Did you put in 2-stroke fuel by mistake? I have seen that before and usually there is more smoke out of the tailpipe.

Reply to
One out of many daves

I would be thinking maybe it wasn't 'gas' you put in the tank.... The idle sure isn't related to a little oil on a funnel...

The TPS's computer plug and socket get dirty on those. I use a spray contact cleaner on them, but WD40 will work in a pinch.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks fellas, I took to removing the TPS to clean it and discovered the top torx screw was shawn in two and the bottom one was loose. On removal and inspection it was clean, I gave it a clean anyway and the underside of the throttle arm too; I have re-attached it with just the lower screw as I've been unable to find a replacement! I've tried Jeep

-- they want $120 for a new TPS -- Ace hardware, Kragen and Napa with no joy... other than going to a wreckers ANY thoughts? It seems to be neither a 4 or 5 metric but somewhere in-between.

Then I discoverd the MAP sensor vacum tube was broken in half! I guess it was brittle and snapped when I was checking the tightness of the manifold, so I replaced that and she seems to be running okay... not perfect but I also discovered the drivebelt needs replacing as does the water pump drivebelt wheel because it has a major crack in it... oh brother! Looks like a real BUST weekend.

Reply to
Stevil

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Stevil did pass the time by typing:

I usually try the local ACE/Westlake hardware store. Those are fairly common screws. If you lived in Oklahoma I'd give you one. Remember to check the regular/Phillips/and hex key bolts and possibly SAE since Jeep tends to mix threads.

Better to ruin a weekend than an engine. ;)

While your in there check all the plastic. I've had to replace almost all the plastic plumbing on my engine.

Reply to
DougW

The bolt is likely a 3/8".

I would recommend changing a lot of vacuum lines if one was brittle. The front axle disconnect works by vacuum too I believe.

Mike

Mike Romain

Oops, I meant 3/16" for the bolt....

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Remove the one screw you have and take it to your local Home Depot or Lowes if you have one. They have gauges to measure the size and pitch for both SAE and Metric machine screws.

You may not be able to get another Torx head, you may have to make do with a slotted, phillips, allen, or hex head.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
philthy