Oil Magnet/When to change - New Jeep

I'm now the very proud owen of a new Jeep Ribicon. Cool!

Now, should I change the oil after the first 1000 miles, or does Jeep put a special "break in" oil that should stay 'til 3000? How about an Oil (Filter) Magnet?

Thanks for your comments.

-Fred

Reply to
Fred Garvin

Doesn't the owner's manual have the recommended service schedule?

-John

Reply to
Generic

I'm sure that was just a slip of the fingers, but its R U B I CO N. Sorry, dont know about your question. What does it say in your owners manual for it?

Reply to
jbjeep

jbjeep did pass the time by typing:

If it's green you could call it a Ribbicon.. ribbit... ribbit... :)

As to the oil, ask the dealer. Usually they don't use any special oil but around here most dealerships want you to bring it back after 1-2000 for a free change so they can look at the oil. YMMV

Oil filter magnets arn't a bad thing but it's usually cheaper to get a busted old hard drive and swipe the magnet out of that. That and the magnets from old drives are real powerfull.

Reply to
DougW

On a rebuild I change the oil and filter at 300 and 1000 and 3000. Dino only, no synthetic until 3000 miles. As to magnets that strap on the outside of the oil filter, I always viewed them as snake oil. Since the filter case is steel I don't see how a strong enough field can get passed through to do much good .

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

The one oil I'd change is the tranny oil at around 10-20,000 Kms The Factory sevice manual doesn't state when to change it. But My 01TJs tranny used to sound like there was gravel rolling around in there until I changed it at around 60,000kms after changing the oil and cleaning the ping pong ball sized metal filings off of the magnet plug it really reduced the gravel sounding noise. I wish I did that at 20,000kms

Cheers Frank

Fred Garv> I'm now the very proud owen of a new Jeep Ribicon. Cool!

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I'm curious about these oil filter magnets. Has anybody actually used one? It would seem a relatively simple process to test if they work. Put it on, drive around for a couple thousand miles, cut the filter apart and look for metal filings under the magnet.

The neodymium magnets used in hard drives go beyond real strong and into the realm of dangerous IMHO. (Ask me how I know . Playing with a stack of them + moments inattention = big ol blood blister. ouch! Definitely not a kids toy.) If you've never experienced neodymium magnets they are quite impressive.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Dean, we have been taking old hard drives apart at my work for quite some time and you are correct. Those little buggers will definately snap down on your finger with no remorse. I had one on my oil filter for some time but never took the time to cut the filter open to see the results. Guess I should try it again.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Chip detector drain plugs are good, they work great for Boeing :)

Snow...

Definitely not a

Reply to
Snow

Jim85CJ did pass the time by typing:

Yep. Some of the ones I have hurt if you try that.

Yep. I put one under the oil filter and one sits on the oil pan just under the drain bolt. The reason for under the oil filter is that is where any particles not caught in the material will settle.

You will see a very fine buildup due to normal wear.

You should play with the ones from a magnetron for the old long range radars. Those will crush your fingers.

Reply to
DougW

When a dealer quotes anything less than the manual I suspect they are just drumming up more business. Particularly since many tests have found 7500 miles to be fine under typical street conditions.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Dean proclaimed:

Magnetic plugs for the oil drain used to be more common...back when engines had more iron in them. You could always just bolt a magnetron magnet up next to your oil filter if the concept turns you on.

Reply to
Lon

Well, in the name of one upsmanship...

At work I routinely play with 1.5 tesla (and larger) magnets. That's 15,000 gauss or roughly 1500 times stronger than the magnet on your refrigerator. Unfortunately they tend to be a bit too pricey for people to toss them out. That and since they are about the same size as your jeep they are a little bulky.

You couldn't so much stick one to your oil filter as the jeep would stick to the side of it. I once saw a pallet jack get sucked 10 feet across the floor onto one. You'd also have to keep the magnet filled with liquid helium (-450 dgrees F) or else you lose all the field (superconducting coils). Oh, and you probably couldn't get your engine to even turn over once you are stuck to it since the crankshaft is heavily ferrous. I guess they would not work too well for this application. But just think how clean the oil would be!!

Well, except for all those pesky non-ferrous metals like aluminum (think pistons and rods) and the stuff they plate the bearing wear surfaces with. Hmmm....

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

It would because it will temporarily magnetize the steel filter can. The real question is how much of the metalic particulate is ferrous?

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Fred W. did pass the time by typing:

Yep. I've seen one of those up at the Physics lab at Oklahoma State University. One of the PHD's was working on quartz crystals. My job was taking notes and moving samples between that and the linear accelerator where another student was zapping them. Yay radiation! Actually the cinderblock walls put off more radiation than those samples did.

Reply to
DougW

We've been doing the same thing, tearing the drives apart and destroying the platters to prevent any proprietary data from leaving the company. I've had people try and convince me that there are programs that will wipe the drives of any data. But they cannot PROVE to me that the data is gone. But when I'm done with a drive ain't no data ever coming off it again.

So I have quite a pile of magnets, and I'd never thought of putting them on the oil filter. They make lousy refrigerator magnets because they are so dang hard to get off. Since they are free and can't do any harm I'm going to put one on every car I own. And next oil change I'll cut the filter apart to see if they did any good.

I'll report back after the next oil change.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to