On Board Video?

I've been thinking about adding some sort of on-board video to my 83 CJ-7 (shooting video that is - NOT watching movies while on the trail). The idea would be to mount a camcorder (or bullet cam?) with a relatively wide angle lens to the roll cage just above the center of the windshield - aimed to get the nose of the Jeep in lower portion of the picture so there's some perspective to the video. Ideally, these newer camcorders with the built in hard drive would be perfect since I could theoretically get several hours of video before the battery died - longer if I were to use some sort of 12 adapter to power the camcorder. But I'm concerned about vibration causing the hard drive to have problems - skip, and etc. Using a "bullet cam" might help with the potential vibration problems - but not many of the reasonably priced hard drive equipped camcorders have the "AV input" capability needed to support a bullet cam. Even some of the other video recording formats with tape drive systems (e.g. Mini DV, etc) may have the same problem because they are "mechanical" (have moving parts)

Anyone got any experience with doing on-board video or have thoughts about about what to do

Thanks

Lynn in Vancouver

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

Yea.. but it's not out yet.

Camcorder with a remote camera you can plug into it.

very cool

The stuff the police use is all shock mounted and basically a PC with a vid capture card. But most handheld super8 camcorders (cheap) have a video input you can feed with a bullet camera. They are relatively cheap and tape is vibration resistant.

Reply to
DougW

Hey Lynn, I use a mini DV on the trails and I'm usually on the trails a couple dayz a week and have mounted it on the dash and have never had any problems with the recordings...The problem with video cameras off road is dust and dirt getting in the camera...My first Panasonic Mini DV cam had the lens go at one year, they replaced the lens and less than a year later the lens crapped out again...this time warranty had expired and I'm looking at $300. for a new lens...with the price of Mini DV's dropping, I just picked up a new cam...I stayed w/ Panasonic again but purchased the added 3 year warranty this time.

If you look further up the threads you will find some of the videos that I have done using my mini DV...

Jeff (Pirate Jeep Productions)

Reply to
Jeff (4X4PLAY)

I have always preferred viewing helmet cam shots, less jerking from roadbounce and it follows where the filmer looks.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Plus the head cam give you the first person ohhhhshiiiit perspective. :)

Reply to
DougW