More OT - DVD ripping

Sorry to go OT again but as usual it's the best place to ask.

I want to rip some DVDs to AVI/MPEG so I can take films with me on the laptop when travelling, to save having to lug the discs around. I've found ways to do this but they tend to be very fiddly and also usually screw up the aspect ratio.

Can anybody recommend a *simple* Windows tool which will make life easier? One-click operation would be nice :)

TIA David.

Reply to
David French

Use something like Nero 6 with recode. This will rip them in VOB format, so you can play them as is, using something like power DVD or any DVD playing software that supports file playback.

Good forum here:

Murphwiz

Am I right in thinking that if I keep them in VOB format they won't be recompressed?

I was hoping to get the file sizes down a little so I can get more than one on the laptop. This is the process I've been finding cumbersome and inaccurate. Any suggestions?

I'll look into Nero more closely.

Tx David

Reply to
David French

if you want a straight copy, use dvd decrypter and then prassi primo dvd 2 ( cd writing programme) to write the resulting iso file back to a dvd.

if you want to resize it then i use ulead dvd movie maker 2 and resize it to any size i want, obviously to the detriment of quality.

hope this helps a tad

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

I'm new to this DVD ripping malarkey, but I was reccomended 'smart ripper' as being the dogs danglies when it comes to this sort of thing. Not tried it yet though!

Reply to
SimonJ

It just has to be DVDXCOPY for success

It's not free but it IS one click operation

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:

Mac

What he said, one click, reduced to the size you want, even burnt to a DVD as well.

Steve H

Reply to
Steve H

Likewise, and in a similar vein...

If I wanted to make a 'backup' of a VHS Video tape, say something like a 1 hour broadcast quality (studio recorded, not off the telly) documentary onto a DVD - what sort of means would I deploy to achieve this?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I'll let you know how I get on tonight - it's a job I have lined up.

My plan is to run the VHS onto my DV camcorder, which I have the leads and so on for. They are mostly analogue camcorder recordings anyway, although I have a couple of professionally produced VHS tapes to do as well.

The DV camcorder will pass through live to the laptop if I wish, or I could record it to tape (which may be easier as I am probably going to be disk-space constrained unless I start taking machines to bits). I will then use Pinnacle Studio to edit (possibly do a bit of sharpening etc) and spit to DVD.

I suspect it is going to take quite a long time - maybe 5-6 hours for each hour of tape. 1 hour to record the source, 2 hours to edit / process it, 1 hour to render the footage, 1 hour to transfer the contents via LAN to the machine with the DVD writer in it and cut the disk.

I've got about a dozen to do!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I use a Panasonic S-VHS VCR connected into an ATI Radeon 8500DV to convert to Mpeg and thence onto DVD. I've used this method to archive all my camcorder tapes. Any video capture card should work.

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

You've got two good options, and here's a third :-)

I'd TiVo the video, extract the TiVo file to HDD and then edit and encode to DVD/SVCD/VCD/DivX/whatever.

Reply to
QrizB

Martyn - it works and without much in the way of apparent quality loss. I suspect I could improve matters by waving a head cleaner towards my VCR.

In the end I've done 30-odd minutes at DV quality (which is nonsense really as it starts off as VHS) direct to the laptop. I really need to build myself a decent desktop machine with a few hundred gig and a DVD writer. The laptop doesn't have enough disk space for what I'm doing.

Run SCART lead to camcorder (without a tape in it) and firewire from camcorder to PC. Set Pinnacle (or whatever) to capture and away you go. I guess you could also do very good quality TV recordings thus.

If you want to loan the camcorder just shout. I ought to come over and see Warren sometime soon anyway. Not sure if all camcorders do this or if it is a particular feature of my Sony.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I relented and went and got a dedicated USB capture device.

Do please feel free to drop in if you're nearby anyway though :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Martyn,

What did you get out of interest... I nearly got as far as the till last week with a package but then had to remind myself I have two trucks to paint and given a new toy I hadn't the time just yet. I'malso on a promise (of a trip to the camping and caravan show for morphs kit).

I would be interested on any feedback on what you got and any other recommendations as I want to transfer VHS camcorder recordings to VCD / DVD when I get the time.

Lee D

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

A Belkin USB VideoBus II

Essentially it's a USB plugin device with audio and video inputs. The bundled software (MGI Videowave III) is alright for what I want to do I guess, but I reckon Nero will recognise the input and record directly. Still some playing to do - and I really ought to go get a video head cleaner!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother