[OT] dayjob haha?

.geeking.

Just got in a part for a project at work, one tiny problem though. Seems it should have been ordered as a DIP IC but the folks that help do the paper pushing ordered a "better" version. Where "better" is µSOP.

Piccy note "normal" 8 pin IC and the penny.

If things keep up this way I'm gonna have to lay off the coffee and get a pair of reading glasses.

Oh well. The job keeps me in Jeep parts. :)

Reply to
DougW

Well when I was hacking my nvidia card a few years back, I found the swinging magnifying glass with lights (vs reading glasses) overtop the soldering station to be the only way I could handle that surface mount stuff.

Reply to
bowgus

How and with what did you take that picture??

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

Dave in Columbus did pass the time by typing:

Just my digital camera. A Cannon S200 2.0 megapixel set to "macro" and held about 4" or so from the chip. Only thing I don't like about the S200 is it's lousy for dim-light conditions or backlit subjects even with the flash. Then again I bought it just for a toy to do website stuff and surveys. The newer 4-5mp cameras are amazing.

Reply to
DougW

You could have your design department make a carrier... the surface mount device is most likely the same pin-out.

surface mount to DIP carrier - $10 correct device with correct package - $1 putting the design department through the agony - priceless

Reply to
JimG

JimG did pass the time by typing:

made one myself, it was quicker. Just a simple eight pin carrier and some wire wrap wire. Now it looks like a teeny spider sitting in a web.

Indeedy. :) Except I am the design department. :/

It's the contracting department that deserves being raked over the coals. But that comes later. *evil grin*

Reply to
DougW