Overheating?

1994 YJ, 4.0. Last week I noticed that my water temp gauge was suddenly pinning out at 260. After careful watching it is now doing the following: cold start it is straight up and warms up to 210 (low limit of red) then hits max at 260. It appears the thermostat is working as I can see the needle dropping/rising when the thermostat opens/closes. I checked the fan, belts, ect... and at a loss. Before last week the range seemed normal in that it never hit the red. There appear to be no other signs that I'm actually overheating. Thanks in advance.

H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

Check the connection on the temperature sender, it could be dirty/corroded.

DougW

I have a 95. I had problems with my temp gauge going up and down. I was fearing the same thing. Overheating. Took it to a mechanic who checked the coolant temp with a tool that reads the temp just by pointing a beam at the thermostat housing, and it was reading 210. From what I have read, the factory gauges are not the best. And like Doug said, check the sending unit. A new one is fairly cheap. Maybe an aftermarket temp gauge may be in your future.

Greg

Reply to
GGinn

Reply to
RoyJ

Even MPJA has them

Get the better one. They have a applications besides auto. By the by, you can use them on the header to detect if a particular cylinder is running hot/cool.

Around the house to spot leaks by doors, outlets. Find where your attic is missing insulation, how well is the home AC running and is the compressor running hot. etc.

Reply to
DougW