Ping: Aussie/NZ Jeepers

Looking through the internet on diesel swaps, Australia and NZ seem to have a lot of Nissan Patrols and Toyotas but no Jeeps. Are there Jeeps down there? And if so, is anyone dieselizing them there?

Reply to
Ted Azito

Jeeps are rare down there. They get lots of the Land Cruisers that we don't get in the states. But the Jeeps are a rare find.

Reply to
Rusted

There are plenty of Jeeps in NZ, I am not sure about Aussie. Generally people run the stock engines (Wranglers here only come in 4.0L versions and with rear D44s from factory). Diesel is not the preferred swap, people usually go for a V8 swap if needed. As for Patrols and Landcruisers, for off roading SWB versions are more popular. Some people like petrols, others like diesel. There is no clear majority.

Here is a link to a recent story on TJLs. Though there are no plans for TJLs to be produced in RHD configuration or be imported into NZ market. D/C is not even offering Rubicons here (LHD or RHD).

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

Well, I never said diesel was best for everyone. It's not. But it's what I want, and I know there are a few others too.

A great deal of interest seems to be present in diesel swaps in Nissans, Toys and Land/Range Rovers down there-I wonder why not Jeeps?

Also the type of used diesels readily available are certainly different. They seem to be using pulls from Japanese home-market vehicles killed by the inspection system, whereas Stateside, it's get an engine in industrial trim and swap over (which isn't that difficult, but if a different pump is needed, expensive) or use a five cylinder Benz. Maybe a VW four would be adequate in a flatfender, but flatfenders don't cut it on the highway. I like the Benz a great deal for other reasons-it's sleeved, very rebuildable, has a Bosch pump (which means fitting a full range governor or a few other swap-tricks are possible)and I think the stock turbo system can be left unmolested (no intercooler) under a TJ/YJ hood. Also it's a DCX product and will dress up beautifully. It doesn't hurt that diesel Benzes are common enough that onroad breakdowns shouldn't be all that difficult to deal with-parts are in the systems of all the franchise car parts places. Not true of engines only sold industrially here-can you imagine getting Deutz parts through Pep Boys?

Reply to
Ted Azito

Well, its not what I want that is why I am driving a TJ.

Actually, Nissans, Toyotas and Land Rovers come with factory diesels. These are not swapped engines. Petrol varieties are also available.

I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but the makes with diesels are coming with factory diesels and not Japanese rejects.

Those engines might be popular in States, but they are not here. I have yet to come across a TJ/YJ in our area which has a diesel engine in it. Its just not done here.

TW

Reply to
TW

Have a look here:

There are more Jeeps than you think.

JR

Reply to
Jason Ross

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you don't want to read it don't, it is entirely your choice which you have obviously chosen to make.

Congratulations.

Jason

Jason Ross