TJ Caster adjustment

I have searched the web for any sites out there that detail how to adjust caster on a lifted TJ. But no luck so far. Does anyone have a good site or can you briefly 'splain it to me? After lifting the TJ and getting an alignment, it still wanders all over the road indicating negative caster (or is it positive). I believe that I can adjust the lower control arms to be longer to correct this, but how much? I adjusted them to the same length as the stock control arms and obviously that is not correct. Also, what is the trick to getting the upper bolt hole to line up in the lower control arm? That one was a beotch last time I installed them.

Also, is it safe or recommended to remove the control arms with the Jeep sitting on all 4 wheels?

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Put the the axle on stands and measure the caster by placing an angle finder on the bottom of the inner knuckle. Increase the length of your LCAs in small increments until the the knuckle is 3-6 degrees. This tips the pinion down, so only set as much positive caster as you need to regain steering control.

Steve

Dennis Cox wrote:

Reply to
Steve

thanks, I'll try that. You state to put the axle on stands, does it help to have the frame supported as well? Are there any tricks to getting the LCA's reinstalled after each adjustment? They were a pita to install the first time. Very tough to line up those upper bolt holes.

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Can't you leave the upper bolt connected and turn the lower half to adjust? Either way, support the frame.

Another way to measure relative caster without getting inside the knuckles is to put the angle finder on the flat surface that the front diff cover mounts to. Do this on a flat surface while the vehicle is unsupported.

Steve

Dennis Cox wrote:

Reply to
Steve

The lower bolt is one of those whachamacallit bolts. It was a pain to reinstall it the first time I installed these LCA's. The upper bolt was easier than the lower is why I was thinking I would unbolt it. Then I could twist the LCA to lengthen it and reinstall the upper bolt and recheck angle again.

If I'm way off on my ideas here, please tell me. I'm not extremely mechanically inclined, although I can follow directions most of the time. :)

Reply to
Dennis Cox

ok, I adjusted the eccentric bolt on the lower control arm and got enough adjustment out of it to make the steering "feel" better. When I get some time, I'll adjust the LCA longer so I can move the eccentric back to center.

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

pardon my ignorance Bill, but huh? Is this one of your "real jeep" cracks? :)

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If you don't, the Jeep will fall on the ground. ;o)

Make sure both sides are adjusted the same, so you aren't twisting the housing.....then push them into place with a bottle jack undere the pumpkin snout.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keating

When you're finished with the adjusting, get a buddy with a welder to tack weld the eccentric cams in place....they have a habit of coming loose at the worse possible time.

Paul

Dennis Cox wrote:

Reply to
Paul Keating