Code Scanners - Actron vs Auto Xray - Opinions Please !!!

I've been trying to figure out which engine scanner to purchase and have looked at both Actron and Auto Xray. I already own an earlier model Auto Xray.

With Auto Xray... it seems that they kill you with upgrades for everything.... I first picked up a GM OBDI and it scanned and monitored GM ODBI . Then I went ahead an purchased the Pro Pak which provided ODBI for GM, Ford and Chrysler PLUS OBDII Generic Code.

After sinking about 400.00 into the ProPak it seems that Auto Xray now wants another $150.00 for manufacturer specific codes... and quite a few additional bucks for the newer CAN specifications.

Auto Xray's Top of the Line model runs anywhere from 575. to 700.

Quite a chunk of $$ for a DIY'r doing maintenance on 3 cars.

Actron seems to have the same capabilty for about half the price. I can get the OBDI's for 30.00 each....and the OBDII with manufacturer specific codes for about 280.00 (vs 550. for autoxray).

Has anyone used either Actron or Autoxray... which would be better for the home DIY'r (not even a shade tree mechanic mind you), who enjoys working on cars, but doesn't have the need or budget for professional tools.

Thanks !!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I just priced out an Autoxray EzRead 2000 at $399CDN at PartSource. It does everything;

EZ-READ 2000 The EZ-READ Advanced Code Reader is the most user-friendly, cost-efficient, and portable OBD-I & OBDII Code Reader available. With an EZ-READ 2000 users can access the same information dealers use on '83 and newer Domestic and '96 and newer Import vehicles. Comprehensive features include: show trouble and pending codes in English, resets check engine light. It's affordability, and abundant features make the EZREAD 2000 the ideal personal tool kit for DIYer's.

FEATURES Supports multiple trouble code requests, generic codes, pending codes, enhanced codes On screen display of OBD-I trouble codes, OBD-II generic and OBD-II manufacturer specific codes. Displays Readiness Test Status Reset Check Engine Lights Internet Upgradeable

VEHICLE COVERAGE GM '82 - Current Year (12 & 16 pin ALDL and OBD-II) Ford '83 - Current Year (EEC IV and OBD-II) Chrysler '83 - Current Year (SCI and OBD-II) Jeep '91- Current Year (SCI and OBD-II) Toyota '96 - Current Year (OBD-II) Honda '96 - Current Year (OBD-II) NISSAN '96 - Current Year (OBD-II) All other Asian and European '96 - Current Year ( OBD-II)

CONTENTS

2000 Code reader GM OBD-I Cable Ford OBD-I Cable Chrysler OBD-I Cable OBD-II Cable Case Users Manual Reg. Card Box Sleeve

I personnally think the EzScan 6000 is the tool to get, it's only $999CDN.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I noticed on the

site that the EZ Scan 5000 does not have the enhanced error codes for Ford GM and Chrysler. Seems that autoxray will charge you another $150.00 to upgrade.

The Actron CP9150 has all the functionality of the EZ Scan 6000....ie OBDI, Generic OBDII for all domestic and asian cars PLUS includes support for all the enhanced codes for GM Ford Chrysler and Toyota.

The Advance Auto Price for the CP9150 was 380.00... which makes it alot cheaper than the autoxray for the same performance.

btw you did get a good deal on the 5000 as AutoXray charges 529.00 for the 5000 AND an additional 85.00 for the PC 5000. EZLink software

That's why I'm curious about autoxray versus actron. Seems that Actron has prices about 1/3 less or more than autoxray, but all equipment is basically about the same according to the web site information.

Just trying to determine if I should buy Actron and spend all my $$$ up front or continue to be nickel and dimed to death by autoxray

Thanks for your help !!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I purchased the AutoXray EZ Scan 5000. It had all the adapters and case. I am also a BY machanic. The scanner is easy to set up and use. I purchased it from AutoBarn.com for $399. Shipping was free, do not remember if there was tax. Also got EZ-PC 500 (FREE) ($85 extra). I just checked the site and the deal is still available. It was a good buying experience and they delivered everything on time. Hope the info. helps.

Warren

Reply to
wyoung

FWIW: amazon.com lists both the autoxray and actron scanners on their site.

The AutoXray 6000 scan is being sold for 482.00 vs 700.00 from Auto Xray The Actron CP6150 (equiv to the AutoXray6000) is 330.00

I've looked at the sales data and asked a few support questions from Actron...it seems that the ACTRON CP9150 and AutoXray EZ-SCAN 6000 are very similiar. (but as noted the Actron is about half the price of a AutoXray).

Actron has excellent customer service support. AutoXray support seems to be non-existant.... from my own experience and from that of another person.

I'm beginning to think that the Actron is a much better deal price, upgrade and support wise than the autoxray.... but I've never used an Actron scanner to test it's durability or keypad layout.

I know the AutoXray has a good feel of durability to it... I've only used it a dozen times over the past three years... but it seems solid.. Just wish it had a 'back' or 'home' button so that I don't have to continuously fumble to get back to a main screen.

Any tech's out there that use an Actron Scanner ??? I'd be interested in hearing your opinions !!!

Thanks in advance

Peter

Reply to
Peter