Radiator boiling over?

Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 1996: Took it for a two-mile spin. When I pulled into my garage, water was boiling out of the radiator around the cap. Any ideas?

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba did pass the time by typing:

Was there any indication on the temp gauge?

Water shouldn't come out around the cap, it should go into the overflow bottle. My first thought is you need a new cap because the seal on that one is gone. (or was the cap loose?) Without the pressure held by that cap the radiator will boil.

Also check your coolant mix.

Reply to
DougW

Bubba proclaimed:

How long had it been before the last good drive? Belt tight? Water pump still alive? Any rough running when cold and bubbles in the coolant when running? Or just an old cap that should be replaced? Crumpled hoses? Last time it had a bath?

Reply to
Lon

Check the thermostat. If they fail, they mostly fail closed.

Reply to
greyhound

In article , Bubba wrote: #Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 1996: Took it for a two-mile spin. When I pulled #into my garage, water was boiling out of the radiator around the cap. Any #ideas?

Is it overheating according to your temp gauge? If not, are the clamps tight on the overflow hose? Just as a sanity check, is the cap on tight?

If it is overheating, is your fan clutch working? Do you hear a roar from the fan when the it gets over temp? Any leaks from the water pump?

What percentage is your coolant/water mix?

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Your cap must be bad. The cap has two seals. One two way at the base that lets the coolant out when you heat up the engine and one at the top that forces the coolant to go to the overflow bottle. The one at top then seals to allow the bottom two way valve to suck coolant back into the rad.

It is normal for coolant to come out of the rad when the engine heats up. Just not out on the ground....

Mike

Mike Romain