Bad Radiator Cap

Has anyone in this group ever had a problem with a radiator cap?

Having just come into town from a short road trip with our 2001 Grand Cherokee, my wife pulled into the garage and all of a sudden there was a large pool of coolant under the engine compartment. I opened the hood and found coolant gushing out of the top of the radiator under the radiator cap.

Lost about a gallon of coolant.

I was really feeling lucky that the cap decided to blow in the garage and not on the highway.

With all the autos I have owned in the past 60 years, a blown radiator cap has never happened to me before.

Turns out the radiator cap had failed and as I found out later, not an uncommon thing to happen. And some mechanics recommend replacing the radiator cap with each oil change.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Yep.

I had to replace mine a few years back. It was leaking around the edge.

Just picked up a simple replacement cap.

Reply to
DougW

Every oil change is a bit absurd unless you leave your oil in for a loooong time.

Most radiator shops, general repair shops, will pressure test your cap for you for free. Some places require this as part of smog testing.

Reply to
Lon

In point of fact, shortly after shutdown is the most likely time for something to blow. Engine is still hot - hotter than coolant by far - and nothing is circulating so temp goes up by quite a bit for a few minutes. Most times, the result is an overflow from the overflow bottle unless you have one of those closed systems.

Cap failure is a common thing - usually shows up as overheating due to the slow loss of coolant. Just be glad that it's a cheap fix! When I see a puddle after shutdown it usually signals that the pressure has popped the shaft seal in the water pump.

Reply to
Will Honea

Thanks for that info...

Larry