Re: 92 wrangler 4.0 front crank oil seal

I have only done them with the timing cover off. I used a hammer on a block of wood to tap it in, then put the cover on and tightened the timing cover down so the seal was centered.

Trying to get one on straight with the cover in place would need a piece of pipe or something to get an even pressure. Or I guess a hole in a

2x4 so it will slip over the crank nose.

If you tap the seal in one side at a time it will likely warp and never hold for long.

Mike

Doug wrote:

the 92' 4.0. I'm having a heck of a time getting the new oils seal installed? Any advice?

Reply to
Mike Romain

Is replacing this oil seal on an 85' CJ& with the 258 as easy as it sounds on the 92' 4.0. I'm having a heck of a time getting the new oils seal installed? Any advice?

Thanks!

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Thanks Mike!

I figured out that the metal retaining ring from the original stock oil seal had bonded itself to the timing cover. I thought it was part of the cover. I was able to pry it out once I realized, with the help of some other Jeep guys, that it was not permanent.

The new oil seal went it very easily. I hammered it in place evenly using a 2" piece of muffler pipe. I will now work on installing the gaskets and replacing the cover.

Thanks for your advice.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

2" piece of muffler pipe. I will now work on installing the gaskets and replacing the cover.
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It is best to put the damper on to center the seal before tightening the cover bolts like Bill mentioned.

There can be a major gap on one side with the play available in the timing cover bolt holes.

Mike