Removing rear oil seal retainer 1984 22R engine

In the middle of a clutch job on my 1984 longbed pickup, have removed the 7 bolts for the rear oil seal retainer (to replace the rear oil seal) and the retainer is not exactly coming out easily. I don't wedge a screwdriver in the crack and I'm not sure if I should whack it to break it loose. The books I have make it seem like a very easy job (just remove it and replace the seal, they sez, just like that!) but these same manuals (including some online ones) don't mention the gasket behind the retainer nor what the torque is for the bolts.

I don't see any lips I can use for leverage and by the sound I can tell the retainer is slightly loose...but it isn't budging. Any suggestions or tricks for getting it out. Also, the books don't mention the retainer gasket, is this a dealer item or can the old one be reused if it is good?

jc

Reply to
jbclem

Have you removed the oil pan? It'll be tough to remove the retainer with the oil pan installed. Maybe impossible.

Reply to
xsacta

Yep, that is the toyota way. Make sure you reseal the pan properly too especailly in the rear seal area.

SnoMan