Re: how about 31's, True-trak's, and 4.10 gears?

I have tru-tracs, 31s and 4.56 in my 98 TJ SE and it is a very capable trail jeep. If you have a d35c in the rear, the tru-trac recommends you not exceed 32" tires. (I don't know if they have any such limits for the d44.) Mine have gotten me through a lot of mud, over a lot of rocks, and they are

*very* civilized on the road. TJim
That's the setup I'm thinking of upgrading my '97 TJ to. > > It's a daily driver, and my wife uses it too, so I can't get too > aggressive with it. Hence the True-track instead of a locker. Plus I > have the D35 rear and sticking a locker in there in sort of silly anyway > from what I hear. > > I'm picturing true-track LSD's front and rear, 4.11 gearing to let me go > to 33's if I ever lift it, but the 4.11 should work OK with the 31's in > the meantime. This should give me a very polite and yet fairly capable > Jeep? > > Sound good? Or would I be better off doing something else while paying to > have the diffy's rebuilt? > > Thanks! > > -jeff
Reply to
TJim

Sounds good going with the gearing.... Note: I have 3.73 diffs (stock sahara on my 2000) and just installed 32s tires and I am noting a decline in power (via geaing) and braking reduced effectiveness. So I will "downsize" to 31s (worstcase) or get bigger brakes via ford 9" axles next (along with new gearing)... So I think if you want 31s your gearing and braking is ok and just learn how to use your new lockers......as I will have to when I get them...

Jim

Reply to
jeepster

I have the exact problem as you do and was also thinking about the same setup. My wife would not like it if I over did it to HER jeep. I have the D44 so I must decide on gearing before I put in a new carrier. I thought about the Powertrax no-slip in the rear to save $$. But I would prefer the Tru-Trac for street use. I'm also undecided between 32-11.50 or 33-10.50 after my 31's wear out. I'm planning on staying with BFG AT's. My current thought is the OME 2 1/2" lift. I'd rather not re-gear if I don't have to. 3.73's currently.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Tomanio

Since tru-tracs replace your existing carrier, I don't think you can install them without going through the complex gear setup. If that's the case, you might as well re-gear while you're in there.

Reply to
TJim