Removing RTV from Paint

All,

Need some advice on the best way to get residual RTV off of the paint on my '94 YJ.

I had some Avalanche (now Poison Spyder) rocker guards installed back in '01. They came in raw metal, no paint, powder coat, etc. I pulled them off a few weeks ago to have them powdercoated and found to my dismay that the genius at Avalanche who installed only painted the outsides, and mounted them with raw metal against the body. Naturally the inside was severely rusted. Fortunately the rust didn''t eat into the body and I was able to clean it all up ok.

My big problem, he also sealed the tops of the guards with thick beads of black RTV. I was able to gently slice the beads off of the body without tearing anything up, however now I have a thin residue of RTV stuck to the paint and I can't find any way to get it off without sanding through the clear and color coats. This was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a supposedly top of the line shop do. Anyone got any ideas?

Reply to
SoK66

I think you may be screwed - all the RTV removers I know of also strip paint as well.... If you do find something that is paint friendly, I'd be really interested in knowing what it is.

Dave Milne

Maybe an eraser?

If it 'is' RTV, it will rub off with your finger. An old credit card works.

You can also get a liquid gasket remover stuff that is supposed to dissolve it.

Gasoline will dissolve it, but it takes a little while.

Mike

SoK66 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Rub it with your finger for a bit and it should rub off. Failing that, try rubbing alcohol and a rag, failing that, try gasoline and a rag.

HTH.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So far I've got "nothing", fingers, erasers, old credit cards, alcohol and gasoline. Something has to work! ;-)

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeez, Bill, what's trolling about that question ?

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

He didn't buy the tube that put it on though ..

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
SteveBrady

Then you don't have RTV there.....

Maybe they used seam sealer or something really strong?

Mike

SoK66 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

I just used 3m's General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner part number 08984. It is available at any decent paint store. It claims to be paint safe. I used it in my bathroom to remove the silicon caulk around the shower. I thought RTV was impenetrable, but this stuff did take it off. Well, sort of. It might have removed the thicker portions if I had days to wait. What I ended up doing was cutting away the thick stuff and then taking 000 grit nylon pads and scrubbing the RTV with this stuff. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Nasty smelling though, I had to put a fan blowing fresh air on my face to keep from breathing the fumes.

Good luck Dean

Reply to
Home guy

Could be a type of Aircraft sealant (like

) in which case itwould be very hard to remove with out the use of a paint stripper orsanding.

Snow

Reply to
Snow

Thanks, Dave, I didn't consider my question inappropriate.

Reply to
SoK66

What I have, BILL, is standard black RTV which was inappropriately used to seal the rocker guards against the paint. As I explained in my original post, after a struggle I got it loose from the bare metal on the guard, but it's stuck fast to the paint. I can't just scrape it off as you'd do on mating surfaces.

Reply to
SoK66

It is indeed black RTV. Easy to identify anyway, but I confirmed it with the installers.

Reply to
SoK66

Indeed it's not, it's RTV. Had they used winshield urethane sealer I doubt we'd have been able to get them off. I use it to seal body panels from time to time and once cured it's distinctly different and much harder than RTV.

Reply to
SoK66

my bathroom to remove the silicon caulk around the shower. I thought RTV was impenetrable, but this stuff did take it off. Well, sort of. It might have removed the thicker portions if I had days to wait. What I ended up doing was cutting away the thick stuff and then taking 000 grit nylon pads and scrubbing the RTV with this stuff. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Nasty smelling though, I had to put a fan blowing fresh air on my face to keep from breathing the fumes.>

Good luck

Thanks, Dean, I'll give this a try. (Need to do a bathroom this winter, anyway!)

Unfortunately my problem is that it's smeared on the paint in a few visible areas that aren't; covered by the rocker guards. I can't scrub on it or use a harsh thinner for risk of damaging the paint. Frankly I think the idea someone had of using an eraser may be the ticket.

Reply to
SoK66