Paint engine tin...

Hi!

I'm in middle of restoration 1600 engine. The engine tin is little rusty so I need advice whit what type of paint to use? If I use some spray color for high temperature do I need some primer paint regular or what? Can be engine tin be pain whit regular low temperature paint? Any help will be welcome! Please send me type of paint not the name (I live in Croatia)!

Thanks

Tomislav Cekolj

As far as I know, you can paint it with normal paint, as long as it is only the tin. If you are planning to paint the engine block then you need high-temp paint. You can find this type of paint at car accesories shops.

Ant

Tomislav Cekolj wrote in this freaking newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

There was an article in either Hot VW's or VW trends that said you can use single stage urethane on the tin not block or exhaust, haven't tried it yet but plan on it this winter. Dave

Reply to
David

Regular spray paint works... As with all paint the better the paint, the longer it lasts. Also, clean the tin, remove the oil ( I know it sounds obvious).

If your tin is getting hot enough to peel paint, you have a serious cooling problem.

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (being assembled)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

I restore tins by first sanding them down to the metal. Then they receive a few coats of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Treat (wipe) the surface with #000 or #0000 steel wool, and then apply the 1st coat of your choice of spray enamel. Let it dry. And again wipe the surface with steel wool. Spray on the final coat.

And after treating the paint with steel wool, I lightly wipe the surface with paint thinner on a clean rag.

My tins have lasted many years by use of this technique.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt

Ant: IMHO painting the engine block with Hi-Temp paint is a bad idea. The nature of the paint and its composition lessons the ability of the case to dissipate heat. Something very important to an air cooled engine. Keep it simple, flat black on the block and then be creative with the tin.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
John Henry

I'm in the middle of putting together a 1776 and had all my tin chemically dipped. I'm also getting everything powdercoated. It's costing quite a bit more than a quick respray but I've been curious as to how it would turn out and when I checked on the powdercoaters' progress I was blown away! Looks awesome, looking forward to having it all together.

Reply to
Volksfan

High-temp paint contains ceramic which is, in fact, a heat insulator. The ceramic is is specifically added to this paint in order for the paint to stand up to the heated surface.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt