Renix flywheel question?

I'm swapping an injected 4 liter from a 90 Cherokee into my 83 CJ7. (I DO have ALL of the harness, injecters, computer and sensors etc. from the Cherokee.) However the Cherokee was an AUTO trans - and my CJ7 has a MANUAL trans --- so I need a flywheel that is compatible with the Renix fuel injection system that the Cherokee motor (engine) uses.

(By the way - I've chosen to NOT relocate the CPS to the front of the engine using the relocation kits from either Hesco or Advance.)

My question: In sourcing a flywheel so the CPS will function properly must I find one from another Renix equipped Cherokee (87 - 90 only) OR can I successfully use one from a newer Cherokee (91 or later) or one from a 91 or later Wrangler?

Thanks

Lynn in Vancouver WA

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm sorta guessing the same thing - esp as it relates to the flywheel.

There are a couple places (Novak, Advance Adapters, etc) who can / will machine my bellhousing so the CPS will mount properly and be in the right place to "read" the flywheel notches - but it's apparently gotta be the correct flywheel. Later flywheels are also "read" by a CPS mounted in the same location - but are a different system, and therefore - alas - not compatible with my Renix based system.

The big plus is that I can then use my stock (swapped in some time ago) T176 trans etc.

Was hopeing someone in the group had personal knowledge to confirm what I suspect (and you sorta indicate also) that I must use a Renix (87 -

90) flywheel.

So I'll keep looking for the "right flywheel" - and I'll throw it open to the group ....

Any body got a 87 - 90 Cherokee 4.0 flywheel (manual trans) that they're itching to sell OR can point me to a reliable boneyard that's got one?

Thanks Lynn in Vancouver

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks - but I guess I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the T176 is same as the "Japanese AX-15"? First time I've heard that.

Got any good links tht would help me with understanding .....

L=2EW. Hughes III (=DFill) wrote:

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Without getting into a long debate - I believe I'm in good shape.

By having the 1980 JEEP bellhousing machined to accept the needed CPS so it can read the notches on the 88 Cherokee flywheel I just picked up, and then using my T176 trans I believe I'm in good shape. Also allows use stock Jeep clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing etc

- as did the Jeep factory. Pretty much Real Jeep stuff - as you have recommended. Based on what I had determined through my discussions with others (subsequent to my original post), the adapter sending units are much more trouble prone than is the route I am taking.

I do however apprecite your sage advice.

Thanks

By the way - as with many other parts, and sub-assemblies, I understand that the T176 was really a "medium duty Ford transmission manufactured by Tremec in Mexico" - and was used by Jeep in building CJ's from 1980

- 87 and other Jeep trucks from 1980 - 87.

lynnhowlyn

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III