90 XJ troubleshooting no start problem

I've been reading on google all the newsgroup posts about XJ's not starting, and have been reading alot of good info. I have something to run by ya'll.

I just bought a 90 xj with 140000 miles on it. The previous owner said it wouldn't start anymore and sold it to me cheap. I've been working on it the past few days, and so far I've replaced the ignition coil, plugs and wires, Crankshaft position sensor (what a pain in the a$$) and still no go. Then today I checked to see if the ignition coil was getting spark. Now, I'm not a mechanic, but shouldn't the coil shoot electricity a little bit if the wire leading to the distributor was spaced less than 1/8 of an inch? I got the wire real close as a buddy was cranking and I never saw an arc of electricity. (i hope this is a good spark test). I remember trying similar to my caddi back in the day and the darned thing shot me with electricity through my body to my keys in my pocket and back to the car.

Now from what I've read it may either be wiring or the Ignition Control Module? (other than fuel and compression) I bought an engine compression tool, will check that soon but he said the jeep ran fine then just wouldn't start. forgot to mention it does turn over, tries to start. Also I checked the fuel rail and it squirts gas pretty strongly, but I will get the fuel pressure tester if I have to.

Just checking to see what ya'll think. I notice alot of people have wrestled with this problem and I'm interested to see what happens next.

(from my bro's house) Troy

Reply to
Mark

Jerry Bransford

One simple cause of no spark on the older ones is a broken body ground. It is a wire mesh strap from the rear of the head to the firewall. I see it a lot in the rust belt.

My 88 was acting like a bad CPS, changed that and the sucker stalled 10 feet later. Then I spotted that rotted strap...

There also is a pickup inside the distributor.

Mike

Mike Romain

As another replied there's a cam position sensor inside the distributor. However there's a bunch of wires grounded to the block on the passenger side rear that's the return lines for the engine sensors. Make sure they are all have good connections. Also the body to block braid that's mentioned is VERY important.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Ok I'm gonna go over there tomorrow and start working on it again, I had to take a few days off from tinkering with it. So I'm gonna guess that if it is getting the +12 volts then maybe it's a bad ignition coil from the parts store? And if it itsn't then.... that ignition control module I hear is under the dash somewhere? I don't have a book for this cherokee or engine, I've been reading from my FSM for my 01 tj though I know they're different but it has helped a little.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Ok I'm gonna be checking the straps as well... I remember when replacing that CKS that there was that ground strap in my way. It's kinda thin and wimpy in my opinion but I think it's secure. I'll unbolt it and clean the connections. While I'm at it I suppose that I should find all the straps to secure them.

The pickup in the distributor, hmm. When I bought the new dist. cap it came with the part that spins around and makes contact with the plug wires from the coil, which I put in. Is that the pickup you are speaking of?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Ok I'm gonna check those wires also. If they happen to be chewed by rats or something, am I going to have to replace the whole wiring harness for the jeep?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

No, there is a unit that more or less replaces the points inside the distributor. I don't have the meter reading to test it. Maybe someone else has them.

MY ground strap was on clean and tight, it just had no metal left in it to conduct. It crumbled to powder in my fingers.

Mike

Mike Romain

I checked all the electrical connections today and the grounding straps... a little rust but I tried to make good connections again with some wd40 and sandpaper. Checked that the coil was getting 12 volts and even brushed up those connections. Now it has cranked and is running fine. Guess it was rusty/grimey connectors. Thanks for your help everyone!

Reply to
Troy