replace wheel bearing Jeep TJ 2000?

Hi Folks,

Now that I just completed replacement of a water pump and thermostate, it appears my rear passanger wheel bearing might be going. I'm experiencing a squeaking sound after a bit of driving. It doesn't sound like the rear brakes. It's a metal against metal "screeching" sound, therefore I suspect a bearing.

The jeep has about 145k miles on it and no bearings have been replaced.

Has anyone completed this procedure? Any suggestions for completing the job?

Thanks alot, Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes

If I recall correctly, you will need a 36mm socket for the "center hub nut". I am sure if I have my measurement wrong someone will correct me quickly.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
97tjMike

Thanks. Did you need an impact wrench to get the nut free or just use a breaker? I have a 1/2" impact wrench and not sure if I should get eh 36mm socket for it.

Reply to
Nick Hughes

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

In article , Nick Hughes wrote: #Hi Folks, # #Now that I just completed replacement of a water pump and thermostate, #it appears my rear passanger wheel bearing might be going. I'm #experiencing a squeaking sound after a bit of driving. It doesn't #sound like the rear brakes. It's a metal against metal "screeching" #sound, therefore I suspect a bearing. # #The jeep has about 145k miles on it and no bearings have been #replaced. # #Has anyone completed this procedure? Any suggestions for completing #the job? # #Thanks alot, #Nick

What do you have for your rear diff? Dana 35c? Dana 44?

The D35c:

c is for custom, not c-clip) The D44:
used a 12-ton shop press. Looking back, I should have gotten a 20-ton press. Then I could have done the "Special Service Tool" trick. And if you don't like cutting with a drill and dremel, make a "Special Service Tool" for your press:
I strongly suggest that you replace the seals along with the bearings since you have it out already. Also, I would pack the new bearing with some grease since it may take some time for diff lube to make it to the bearing.

Someone recommended using RTV rubber around the edge of the oil seal. Dunno if it would help or hurt or not.

Lastly, are you sure it is the bearing? It's a lot of work just to find out you still have the noise when you are done!

Good luck!

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I used an impact wrench. It's a lot easier because otherwise you just end up spinning the whole shaft with a breaker bar. I suppose on the rear you could set the e-brake though.

Reply to
97tjMike

Reply to
Ivan Jager