replaced clutch, new vibration at 45+ mph

The clutch was replaced by a pro shop. Vibration was instantly apparant. I thought the clutch itself was the casue, but that clutch turned out to have other issues and was replaced again under warranty. The vibration stayed. It is strictly speed related, not RPM's... you can push the clutch in and it's still there.

My mechanic said he shot a bunch of grease into the driveline and that it might now be out of balance from that... you think?

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Did they replace the pilot bushing? Did they resurface the fly wheel? How is you harmonic balincer?

Reply to
HarryS

Grease moves as your 'mechanic' well knows so it sure won't be killing the balance by lubing something and for him to suggest such bullshit isn't a good sign.

Did he take apart the driveshaft to maybe clean it before greasing it? If so maybe he put it back together out of phase. This can cause a vibration. In phase just means if the front u-joint cap with the bolt is at the top, then the rear needs to be at the top too, not at the side.

Did a u-joint just decide to up and quit because it didn't like having the caps removed? Did he drop or break any needle bearings in the u-joint? (that would be my guess seeing his trying to baffle you with BS attitude)

Did he break one of the yoke tabs so the u-joint isn't seated square.

Did he forget to tighten up the u-joint or maybe the tranny mount?

He did something wrong.

Mike

Handywired wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Brandy Wood

Thanks for the ideas, mike.

Well, I thougnt that it could be any of those things (the ones I knew of anyway) but he looked at it twice and THEN completely replaced the clutch again for free under warranty about 6 months after the initial work... I've used these guys for more than 10 years for things I didn't wnat to/couldn't deal with and I would be stunned if it was any willfull fuckup on his part... he's always been very cool.

The vehicle has 170K on it, and he's seen it off and on since in had 50K and I appreciate the fact he'll still work on it, so I try to cut him some slack. Many things can and will go wrong on this truck that are NOT his fault, you know? NAd that shop has helped me many times on the phone for free with stuff I do myself or stuff to try when the car is dead or something.

The timing of this one was suspect though... the problem started when he changed the clutch.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Even good shops can 'do something wrong', it happens to the best of them.

Dropping a needle bearing or getting the driveshaft out of sync is easy to do and not notice.

But blaming a vibe on grease is well....

Mike

Handywired wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just a hunch, but have you checked the tranny mount? At that age, it would be no surprise if it gave up the ghost while the tranny/tc was being pulled and jacked around during the clutch job. Vibration is not the first thing that comes to mind when one of those goes, but it could be transmitting more than before if it gave up and you are now feeling something that was already there but masked until the rubber went. Sounds like you're in the market for possible off-the-wall possibilities, anyway.

Reply to
Will Honea

the market for possible off-the-wall

Yeah!

Thanks, guys! Luckily it's a semi-retired vehicle but I would like to figure it out.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Maybe it is a front shaft or u-joint that has gone bad.....

The unbolting and moving of the front u-joints could have put one of them over the top or one could just plain have decided to die.

Mike

Handywired wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain