Vibration at 60 mph plus - rotor problems

My Toyota Corolla with about 49,000 miles (yeah, not a Camry) has had a vibration problem for about a month. When the car speed gets to about 59 mph, and above, I start to feel a vibration that's perceptible at the steering wheel. It seems to be coming at least in part from the left front wheel. I had new brake pads and shoes put on this car 9 days ago. The shop advised I have the rotors replaced, saying there was some warpage, but I did not have that done. Nor did I have the rotors or drums turned down.

The right front rotor was warped enough that in the first 50-100 miles after replacement, it burned some of the brake pads up on that wheel until the warped rotor had shaped it some.

I'm interested in knowing - could having one or more warped rotors could cause this vibration? If so, shouldn't the problem be resolved just by turning down the rotors and drums (there ought to be enough metal to do it.) If that's unlikely, what else could cause the problem? It has no other obvious problems that I can think of that would cause this troubling vibration.

Mike

Reply to
M. Hamill

Personally I would just bit the bullet and get 2 new rotors and new pads. Turning the rotors is fine but the thicker the rotor, the better heat can dissipate from it, as well as eliminates any vibrations.

Reply to
Car Guy

Probably tires are bad or out of balance, I ruined a 110$ michelin, with

30000 m on it . For months it shook and pulled to one side. I thought I had a bad CV and needed an alignment, but I broke the belt. Rotors wont cause a shake, They are balanced.
Reply to
m Ransley

I'll second that. Several times replacing all 4 tires solved vibration problems. Apparently the steel belts in the tires can get dented if you hit a curb or pothole. The imbalance causes vibrations and steering problems even though the tires look fine.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Yes the tire looked fine, even off the rim the tire dealer could not tell the belts were bad in 2 ways, Shifted and causing pulling to the right and another defect causing shake. I found this out by rotating the tires the problem went from one area to another.

Reply to
m Ransley