Rubicon tire wear

Gang,

What is the tread life on the stock Wrangler Rubicon tires?

I recently got a '04 with 22k on it and want to know how long I have to buget in a new set of tires.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

What flavor of tire do they put on them?

Mike

Mike Romain

Stock tire is around 31", and Goodyear MT/R. Depending on care, they probably will last into the 40K mark.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

In article , Mike Romain wrote: #Herb Leong wrote: #> Gang, #> #> What is the tread life on the stock Wrangler Rubicon tires? #> #> I recently got a '04 with 22k on it and want to know how long #> I have to buget in a new set of tires. #> #> /herb # #What flavor of tire do they put on them? #

Heh, sorry--fergot that bit of info. Goodyear LT245/75R16E BSW 31" MT/R

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Mine have 68,000 on a '05 and still have 1/4 to 5/16 tread depth. With the puncture resistant sidewalls I am thinking of replacing with the same. The guy we bought the Rubi from said he has seen them go 100,000. They seem Great to me. Don

Reply to
Don Hamilton

I am not sure that's good news. I was planing on putting on 33s when mine wore out. Need a new plan.... BTW, the stealership strongly recommends a 5 tire, crossed rotation on these.

Reply to
jeff

Not need to do a 5 tires one or cary a bigger spare too, just use following method that I have been using for about 30 years now. LF >

RR, RR > RF, RF > LR, and LR > LF. If you do this about every 5K miles you should get pretty even wear overall and the after 20K miles each tire will have done 5K mile in each axle/tire position and then start cycle all over again.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

ya but the Rubicon comes stock with five Moab 16" alloy rims with identical GY Wranglers on each. BTW, I'd never wheel without a same size spare, and most organized runs will not let you.

Reply to
jeff

What pattern does the owners manual call for on them? That is the best way to go.

The CJ manual calls for one side only rotations, no flips or reverse rotations. If doing a 5 tire the spare goes on the main drive wheel, the RR, the RR goes to the RF and the RF goes to spare. Left just swaps back and front.

That makes for perfect wear on a CJ7.

Having an odd sized spare on an off road rig just don't work. It is a major pain if all you have is a silly spare when you have 4 hours of 4 low driving to get out still.

Mike

Mike Romain