Shifting Problem ???

Have a 1998 Jeep GC 4.0L that's having trouble making it's first shift. The rpm's run up to over3000 while the speed hangs at 25mph. Sometimes backing off the gas allows it to shift most of the time I have to drop into netural then back to drive to get it to shift. I've changed the transmission fluid & filter(fluid still red, not black) tried resetting the computer and changed the throttle senser.

What else might help before going to the shop for the usual LARGE bill???

Reply to
chw

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

There is at least om some jeeps a Throtle Position Sesor in the engine bay. This also sends signals to the computer controlling the transmission computer. If this malfunctions or is misaligned the gearshift could get screwed up. Have been known to happen after enginge cleaning with to much water used on this component.

oil

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen