Shocks?

As you may have read, I'm replacing the shocks in my wife's 2000 XJ. I automatically went for the DT3000s. Mind you this doesn't see any off-road time as of yet. Might get some beach time, but that's about it. However, when calling around, I came across a shop that would order them for me. Here's the weird part -- the guy actually talked me out of them at the expense of buying anything from him. Said to just go with the Procomp ES3000s that another shop in town had in stock. He said he's been doing this for years, and that yes, people will say the DTs are better, but they really aren't. Said all he puts on the lifts he installs are the ProComps.

Do you guys know anything about those shocks? I want a decent ride as this is our family-mobile (Nice as in NOT like my rough country shocks on the TJ....). Thoughts? Price and time are definitely concerns.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

twaldron

That's what I said when they put them in the same category as the Rancho

5000s... so why would this guy just lie? He's got his own business, selling lifts/lift kits/components (authorized Rubicon/DT dealer), and suggests I get a product from somewhere else since it's all just about the same anyway. ???????
Reply to
Eric

Eric, I'm with 4WP, the company that owns ProComp. For a Jeep, avoid those ProComp ES-3000 shocks unless you want an ULTRA-stiff ride. Now how's that for an opinion? The guy with the company that makes the shocks says not to put them on your XJ. ;) They're great on larger trucks but they're just valved too stiffly for a Jeep.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

I first had the es3000's and they were stiff in my lightweight Jeep. I switched to the adjustable shocks and love them. I can adjust them how I want. Normally I keep them soft in the front to absorb the weight and shock of the engine and stiffer in the back to control sway and dolphining. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
twaldron

yah :) Nick

Reply to
Nick N

The ProComps are in the same category as the Rancho 5000s, the DT shocks are much softer. That's MUCH softer ...

Reply to
CRWLR

I have the adjustable shocks too, and they are a waste of money. I thought I would adjust them for the trail and the highway, but I don't. I set them on the soft setting for the trail one day, and never set them back. They have been on soft for about 3 years now.

Reply to
CRWLR
*laugh* Thanks, Jerry. Actually, I tried to order the DTs today, and was once again talked out of it. A guy in the TX4WD club (I'm a member..) owns an off-road shop and says he has tons of stock shocks with low miles I can have if I'll come get them. That works for me. I like the ride quality and nothing beats FREE!
Reply to
Eric

I've got the adjustable Pro Comp MX6's, They are really nice. I do adjust them from highway to off-road. I've found the softest setting is great for off-road and for me I like to first notch down from the firmest for driving the I5. I was originally going to put Rancho RS9000's on but a friend of mine recommended the MX6 instead. Glad I went with them personally. I know they cost a bit more but I can adjust the ride to keep Mama happy off the trail and on the trail most of the time. She gets a bit white knuckled sometimes, especially on trails like Lawson peak. Rich

Reply to
Harris Family

I set my R9000s to the firmest setting once and thought the Jeep would bounce itself over. I had aired down for some offroad work, then we were going to a new site to work some more. I had just installed the shocks, and decided to see what they would do. I spun the dial around to the firm setting, and couldn't wait to pull over and set them back to soft. I tried a couple of the other settings, and now I just leave them on soft and forget about them.

My next shocks will be the DT3000 or maybe the Bilstein equivelent. My brother has Bilsteins on his CJ7 and likes them.

Reply to
CRWLR