Shocks

Everything I find on shocks and suspension is for performance and handling. Any body have any suggestions for shocks for improving ride for cruising? I just bought a '95 two weeks ago and it seems like every bump I hit bigger than a pebble goes straight up my.....seat. Is it normal for this car to constantly feel like it is bottoming out?

Reply to
BAK

Seems like you're describing two different symptoms. Could be the shocks are shot, but I'd check your air pressure first. I wouldn't be surprised if you found to be around 38 ppi and that would be the source of the problem. Should be in the 26-30 range. I run at 28. Two different times I bought tires the so-called "professionals" put in around 38.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Thanks, that will be the first thing I check in the morning. I guess this is one case where you ignore recommended tire pressure and go for what feels right?

Reply to
BAK

Well, all you'd ever want to know is at miata.net but if you're mostly concerned about ride, not handling, you may want to go with a simple OEM replacement. However, most people get 'bit' by this little car and realize it can relatively easily be turned into a real serious handling car. Not much loss in ride quality soooooo, before you do something you'll possibly regret later, think about KYB AGX adjustable shocks (or sim). Softest setting is near stock, firmest setting is FIRM! Easy to adjust too.

My 2 cents, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It likely *is* bottoming out, because the shocks are shot. The KYB AGX is an adjustable performance shock, but the lowest setting is softer than an OEM shock. If you shop carefully, you can find a price not much more than ordinary shocks that will last only 1/3 as long.

The Miata is a sports car with fairly stiff springs and limited wheel travel, so it's not going to ride like a sedan. However, there are a few things that can cause a worse-than-necessary ride: heavy aftermarket wheels, stiff and heavy tires, too much tire pressure (28 psi works well for most people).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Not sure about '95's, but for the NB's 26 psi *is* the recommended tire pressure. I run 28-32, as 26 just seems too low and my OEM tires were quickly eaten up by 12,000 mi, mostly at low P's.

Reply to
Dave

Could certainly be the shocks, but could also be the tires. First, try running at the Mazda spec for tire pressure. If things are still "shocking", it is also possible that you are running exceptionally stiff tires, such as high performance or run-flat tires. Also, if they are extremely low profile, the ride will likely be harsh, even with the best shocks. Tires are also shock absorbers, and the more sidewall, the softer the ride, with the trade-off being slightly less steering response, etc. You may even prefer a smaller wheel size to increase sidewall height, but you will lose cornering performance. But I would change the shocks before I started changing wheel sizes - that would be my last resort. Otherwise, a heavier, larger roadster may be a better match for you.

Boreal

2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar
Reply to
Dana Rohleder

i like all the responses that you have received so far and will add this... on my '95 with 110k i didn't go for the kyb adjustable but rather installed the basic but high quality kyb gr-2 shocks. what a difference in ride. the set of gr-2 cost me $200 on ebay, $100 less than the adjustables. but you also will need boots that include a bumpstops and they are pricey at $25 each. my 95 had 110k on it when i replaced the shocks and i suspect the shocks had never been replaced. they were completely dead. no bounce at all from the shocks. the boot crumbled upon touching them. looking back i now realize that my car did not have the big between the top of the rear wheel and the fender that everyone talks about on these cars with stock springs and shocks... now it does.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Not exactly. A tire pressure so high that you you can feel every pebble is way higher that the recommended pressure. You should run close to the manufacturer's recommended pressure, which on my '96 is 26. For some reason, many people, including some so-called professionals, think you should run close to the MAXIMUM recommended pressure indicated ion the tire. That's wrong, not to mention dangerous.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Lowered the tire pressure this morning from 32 psi to 28. Seems to have made a nice improvement. Will be pricing the shocks next. Thanks.

Reply to
BAK

Don't worry, I'm not looking for the sedan ride, but I don't want to settle for the covered wagon effect either. I think I'm going go for the kyb agx shocks, seems to give the most value for the money if you can adjust to the style you plan on driving at any given time. (With some planning of course) Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
BAK