Should I trade it for a Toyota?

Well, this is the 3rd time the jeep has died on me on the road where I have to have it towed. The first two times it was electrical (the MCU on the carb and a bad connector in the wiring the second time). I'm hoping it's not something serious this time but this is getting a little tiring. Good thing I wasn't on my way to AZ for a road trip and be out in the middle of no where.

I'm getting gas so it's probably got something to do with spark.

Got it out in front of a shop till morning. We'll see what happens.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

No way... a rice burner is not even in the same class!

Rule 1 - A vintage Jeep probably should not be your primary vehicle. Rule 2 - You need friends (with Jeeps, so they understand) that will come to your aid when stranded, and bring along a lowboy or the sorts to drag you home if necessary.

Keep the faith :-)

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
twaldron

Tow bar!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

I know, I know... I shouldn't even let my jeep hear me say that. I love my CJ and so it would take a lot to make me get rid of it.

Anyway, I had it towed to a shop which was already closed for the night so I went back and evaluated the situation without all the cars buzzing by so I could think. I saw it was getting gas so I know that wasn't the problem. I realized the subject of my previous post(s) regarding burning oil so I took a look at the plugs. From what I could see at least 2 cylinders were pretty oily. So I went and bought a set of new plugs thinking they all fouled out. I put the new plugs in and at the same time did a continuity test on all my wiring connections (where I had problems before). The continuity tests came out ok. So I jumped in and turned the key and after a few revolutions it fired right up. So it was the plugs. Now I have it home I can take a better look at my burning oil situation. I'm hoping it's only the valve seals. Otherwise I'm going to cry.

Well, I'm getting better. The last two times I had a tow and a shop fix. Now I'm down to just a tow. Next I'll be able to fix it by myself (hopefully).

Thanks all,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I like my cj7 but when I am not driving it I drive a Toyota pick up. I am on my second one the first one lasted me 10 years 192k miles and all I changed was a radiator and a head gasket. didn't even change a front end part or a u joint. the check engine light never even came on carmine

Reply to
Jet

Reply to
alanf

Older straight axle toyota's kick ass! Nick

Reply to
Nick N