Skid plate mount nut broke free

Hi all,

While dropping the skid plate on my '82 Scrambler, one of the nuts inside of the frame broke free of what I'm assuming is its weld. Fortunately, it broke free after I had the bolt about half way out and I was able to hack saw the bolt in half and drop the skid plate.

Is there any way to fix this other that having someone cut open the frame and weld in a new nut? Say, some sort of grade 5 butterfly nut? The hole is larger than I'd like to tap (I'd say 9/16" or 5/8"). Right now I'm running with five bolts rather than six.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Michael White

twaldron

And what is a nutset? Since I am also running with 5 out of 6 on my CJ

Reply to
Greg

Check out this link for Jacknut

You should be able to look in the phonebook of any medium sized city and find a bolt and nut supplier, and be able to get this or a similiar product Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ,"Money Hungry" 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

Dude, I feel your pain.

I had the same exact thing happen on my 97 TJ when I was doing my SYE conversion. I went the expensive route and paid a shop to cut the frame and weld a new one in. :(

It wouldn't have bothered me so much to try something else, or even go without for a while to think over my options, but it was one of the corner locations, on the leading edge of the skid plate. I imagine that bolt gets the most stress in a lot of situations...

Reply to
Bob

Tookie (tookie snipped-for-privacy@cox.net) wrote on Thursday 11 December 2003 01:21 pm:

Won't be strong enough. They're brass or plastic. Needs to be grade 5 steel minimum.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Michael White

Check again, they are available in steel, we used to use them to install toolboxes in the beds of pickups, very durable. Good Luck Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ,"Money Hungry" 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

Over the course of years I lost a few of the frame nuts on my 87 Wrangler. A welding shop suggested that they weld a plate with threaded holes to the bottom of the frame that I could screw the bolts into. Much $$. Then a friend suggested U-bolts. I have 4 4 inch by 6 inch U-bolts holding the skid plate up. I had to drill holes in the skid plate for the interior leg of the U to drop through, not a hard job. Two of the original bolts were spinning their nuts so I cut off the bolt heads. The stumps which are left prevent lateral motion. So far it is working fine and the cost was about $10.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

This is how mine is done. Was a major pain to get the nuts on before I put the body lift on, but that was because my mounts were shot.

Reply to
aGraham

T. Greening did pass the time by typing:

Nut with arms. No, seriously. You cut a small slot and insert a nut that has been welded to a bar. The bar turns and is held by the sides of the framerail. The arms then spread the load so it doesn't pull through

_________________________ | / _ \ | | | / \ | | | | \_/ | | |_________\___/___________|

_____ ________|_____|__________ |_________________________|

Reply to
DougW

A nut with arms, huh? I'm sure I've met him on the usenet.

BTW, nice diagram!

DougW wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

talking about my first wife there, are you.

Reply to
MacIntosh