Fixed busted nuts in frame

If anyone remembers I had a freind coming over to do lift kit and fix his skid plate that fell off, 10 miles up in the bush of coarse, to get out of bush it was a little cable hand winch, over frame, under tranny, over other frame, and hook onto skid plate, cranked it back up, drove out fine. Anyway so I was to fix skid plate bolts, 88 YJ, so of coarse nuts that are in frame were busted off, so my fix, ( sorry Bill, no pics ). The 3 holes in frame were about 5/8th dia. so I widened one round side out to a square like the following ___ (___! so now it was about 5/8 x 3/4, I then cut a peice of 1/4" flat bar

3/4 x 2", drilled a hole in it, welded a 1/2" nut to top, ( which is 3/4" outside ) ran a 1/2" tap through nut and right through 1/4" plate, then slid the unit up into frame with nut up, screwed a new bolt in to hold it in place and align it, then tacked it with welder, unscrewed bolt, completed weld, a little grinding to flatten out, and good as new. Did the other 2 on that side, for some reason all 3 of drivers side came out OK. So total working time for one side, with skid already off, was about 30 minutes, needed were welder, ( I have a lincoln mig 10, perfect for this kind of thing ), angle grinder, 6" of 3/4 x 1/4" flat stock, 3 - 1/2" nuts, 3 new 1/2" by whatever you need bolts, so total cost if you have access to a welder is about 20 cents. Feel free to ask how I fixed the 3" of frame on both sides of the front that was rusted through, gotta love it when freind comes over to get you to help with lift kit and while doing the front we see that steering box is only held on with the 2 bolts in bottom of frame, and if you turn the wheel, that part of frame opens and closes 1/4".
Reply to
Greg

That sounded like a nice strong and painless fix. Thanks for the follow up.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Jeepster has a boxed frame, and the cherokee frame will be that way when i'm done with it.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You wouldn't know what a real jeeper was if he kicked you in the ass.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore