Lift install NIGHTMARE

This is long, but it details the problems my friend Shaun and I had installing a Rubicon 3.5" Super-Ride system (With full rear sprins) on my 91 XJ Laredo. Luckily, we had a vehicle lift, a big air gun, plenty of air, a welder, and plenty of drills, grinders, and other power tools.

We started on Friday at 3pm. We didn't leave the shop untill Saturday at

3am. Let me tell you, I have a new respect for stuck bolts.

All four rear leaf spring bolts were siezed. I was able to heat 3 of the 4 with a torch and muscle them out. The last, the passenger side front leaf spring bolt.. sheared off in the bushing AND broke the weld-nut inside the frame. Yes, I broke them both. We had to bend the spring hangar and cut the spring eye in half. THEN we had to cut the bolt - it turned out the bushing's sleeve had siezed to the bolt. Now we had a hole in the frame with a broken weld-nut and a piece of bolt sticking out. Not good. Plasma cutter wasn't working. We decided to cut a hole in the frame extension welded on where the weld-nut resided, pull it out, and weld a new piece in place with a new weld nut. Without the plasma cutter, we resorted to an air-driven die grinder. Two hours later, the patch was welded into place. The remainder of the rear was pretty uneventful, but I had to loose the crappy tow hitch.

What is it with this passenger side? Lower control arm, upper bolt. Same thing. Seized sleeve in the bushing. Ridiculous. We ground it down to flush with the bracket, put a pickle fork between the braket and used a BFH to make a gap and rip the control arm out. Then, for some reason, on the install of the new control arms, the bolt I had just taken out of the driver's side lower control arm frame end mount wouldn't go back thru the frame. None of them would. Scrounge up another bolt..

So we installed a longer rear brake line, and I tried to re-position the driver's side front brake line mount after I straightened the tubes as outlined by RE. No dice. Either way, we need to bleed the brakes. This is about 230am. Both rear brake bleeders BROKE OFF. Try the pedal. NOTHING. Said forget it, let a shop fix the brakes. Cleaned up and drove home 20 miles with my E-brake.

This RE 3.5" lift was a FIGHT every step of the way, an absolute nightmare. I don't think that it had anything to do with Rubicon's parts, design, or quality. The kit with the DT3 shocks rides well and smooth. Most of the parts were correct and fit well. I did have to bore out one side of one lower control arm axle end bolt hole. I also re-drilled the track bar mount.

To make matters worse, my spare car that i was going to give to someone whom had their house burn down.... it was stolen last night!

All I can say is..wow..

Carl

Reply to
Carl
2 words: PB Blaster.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo
2 words: three cans.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
RoyJ

I feel for you! When I took my CJ7 apart only one bolt came out of the tub, the rest spun or snapped. I took my spring lift job to a spring shop! They torched the suckers apart.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill - We had a big ass 3/4" drive impact wrench that could spin my arms off. Hopefully it comes apart easier next time.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Cool. I was able to torch most of them, but suffered a bad burn on one of my fingers from molten bushing.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

did you have plenty of beer?

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

i like that!

Reply to
J. Sprauer

We only had a 12 pack. :-(

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Make a list of the torque settings. When you grease your Jeep, loosen and re-torque all the components. Especially shackle bolts. They'll never seize or bind in the future. Any pictures?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

That's a good idea. Took befores last night, didn't get any afters today because it was in a brake shop all day. Pics coming soon.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed