Sound system speaker overridden by CB??

Anyone every heard of a device that would override the speaker (possibly the speaker over the drivers head on the sound bar) when a signal comes in to the CB? I'm looking for a decent speaker box for a CB to fit on the roll bar to no avail. (I'm pretty fussy at times) and thought that a device to override the existing speaker would be better. If none exists I may look into developing one. Cheers

Frank

Reply to
FrankW

Not sure if it'd work, but many aftermarket head units have what is called an "audio interrupt" primarily designed for in-car cell phones that kills the audio. I'm not sure how it works on the cell phone end but its just one wire in the back of the radio. You might look into this route and see if it will work on the CB.

Brandonb

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

Olds used to have something like that. They offered an in dash AM/FM/CB back in the '80s. When a CB signal higher than your squelch level came in, it overrode the radio.

Dunno how to do it now though. Suggest go> Anyone every heard of a device that would override

Reply to
Clap Trap

FrankW did pass the time by typing:

Yep.

For a good speaker seek out the RadioShack Minimus 7. It's a waterproof exterior speaker in an aluminum box. Works well on my friends CB.

As for cutting into a speaker, that's tricky. It requires you keep the load balanced for the radio (some may do fine with missing loads but it causes grief on some amplifier circuits)

Too bad you weren't asking about a system for your bike. This one is slick.

A diy version.
Might be a starting point.

Me, I'd go with a separate speaker and possibly a mute for the stereo (some aftermarket and OEM have a "cellular" line that you ground to make the radio mute)

Reply to
DougW