CB Antenna???

Hello Group I'm looking for some opinions on CB antennas. Which are the best (your opinion :-) ) for a jeep? Best way for mounting?......etc

Looking around I found a decent way for mounting an antenna from Tera-Flex.

Unfortunately they don't have one that fits a 04-05TJ yet. I may wait though, as this seems ideal, But how best to route the coax elegantly into the body?????? Which stick to put on that bracket????.

Any pointers to this and other methods are most welcome. Thanks in advance Cheers Frank

Reply to
FrankW

FrankW

I've had very good luck with Firestik antennas. Just make sure you get the slightly more expensive version that has a brass tuning screw on top for use when tuning the antenna for minimum SWR. Their cheaper antenna is tuned by pulling a wire out of the top and clipping short pieces off until it is tuned, a PITA.

Jerry

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Frank, Most of the ones I see around here have been mounted into the rear bumper. Best performance would come from mounting atop your rollcage although it could be ripped off in a rollover. No matter how you do it have someone with a SWR meter adjust your antenna as too much power reflected back will damage the unit.

Antenna tuning info can be seen at:

Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Keep in mind that the best performing mobile CB antenna is the 1/4 wavelength whip... standing 9 feet tall. This antenna may not be practical for all CBers. The Wilson 1000 antenna is my next choice... at around 5 feet tall. It's of the utmost importance that you mount any antenna you choose so that the most possible portion of the antenna radiator is above any solid objects. This is critical for antenna matching and overall performance! Don't make the mistake I see many jeep owners make by putting a rather short antenna right next to the body. You won't be talking to anybody that way...

Professor

Professor

Keep in mind that since this is a Jeep forum, odds are he offroads. And if he offroads in organized Jeep runs or belongs to a Jeep club, they've all pretty much limited antenna heights to 48 to 52" max for safety reasons. It's safest to just recommend nothing taller than 4' in height.

Jerry

Professor wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I have an '03 TJ and I've mounted my 5' Firestick on a spring mount directly on the rear bumper just to the left of the tailgate...it's easy to mount, my send and recieve is awesome even though the antenna does not fully sit above the body...

Jeff VE1WWH (worlds worst ham) '03 TJ & '95 ZJ

Reply to
Jeep

101 inches to be exact

The Wilson 1000 antenna is my next choice...

Thanks I'll check it out

LOL Reminds me of a pickup truck I saw at the Liquor store in Calabogie Ontario. The guy stuck a piece of wood into one of the holes on the top of the pickup bed wall and mounted the antenna on that piece of wood. No he didn't have a ground strap attached either. :-)

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
FrankW

Thanks Billy I happen to have 2 swr meters. I also have a Tectronics spectrum analyser with tracking generator. I wish I had a return loss bridge to go with it. :-)

It's too bad the Jeep Clubs couldn't change over to GMRS/FRS rather than chicken band as that was a huge mistake on the FCC's part in assigning those freq's to local mobile radio service. CB is great for working skip yet it's illegal to do so. Go figure eh :-)

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Damn straight.

's a Motorola stainless ball mount, spring, and coax combo meant for low band radios. I have an 8' Francis fiberglass whip on it. Internally the antenna has 3 wires spiral wrapped the whole way up. SWR is flat over a large portion of the band with that thing on there... Shawn

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Endo